injured duck leg

rogerschickens

Chirping
Sep 7, 2015
1 1/2 weeks ago my duck injured her leg somehow. a large chunk of skin was missing from her ankle. I've cleaned and bandaged it almost every day. I'm not sure if the wound is getting better or worse. she avoids putting wait on the foot as much as possible and her foot looks different than her good one. I've included some pics. can anyone tell if she is getting worse?

every other day I put her in a tank of clean water and let her swim and bathe, and soften the bandages. then I wash the wound with diluted iodine, then I put plenty of 3-in-1 antibiotic cream on the wound and wrap it back up in gauze.

Hi there! The wound on her ankle doesn't worry me as much as the bumbles on her feet. They are huge! Do you see those raised portions with the round black scab? They are serious, and if not treated, can be fatal. I'm not sure - but the entire foot that the sore is on looks like it is in worse shape overall. There is a lot of really good information on here about bumbles - Please let us know if you have any questions!

1 1/2 weeks ago my duck injured her leg somehow. a large chunk of skin was missing from her ankle. I've cleaned and bandaged it almost every day. I'm not sure if the wound is getting better or worse. she avoids putting wait on the foot as much as possible and her foot looks different than her good one. I've included some pics. can anyone tell if she is getting worse?

every other day I put her in a tank of clean water and let her swim and bathe, and soften the bandages. then I wash the wound with diluted iodine, then I put plenty of 3-in-1 antibiotic cream on the wound and wrap it back up in gauze.

@rogerschickens Welcome to BYC

It looks swollen was it more swollen earlier than today? And those bumbles are worrisome on the bottom of her feet, so what were going to do is kill 2 birds with one stone as the saying goes. Get some Epsom salt if you don't have any. it's very inexpensive, okay grag a small bucket or plastic dish pan your going to put 1/2 cup of Epsom salt to 1 gallon of warm water mix real well and sit her down in the bucket or dish pan just hold on to her so she is standing. keep her in this solution until she has been there at least 5 min if you can do longer do that. once you get her out dry her leg and both feet then slather on the antibiotic salve. keep her in as clean an area as possible , Now do you have any clear iodine? has to be clear. If not Walmart and CVS and probably other pharmacies carry it. After soaking in the Epsom salt water and you have dried her leg and feet. take a cotton ball or qtip and go all over the bumble on the bottom of her feet . Soak her leg daily and apply the clear iodine every 3 days soon the scab will loosen and you'll be able to easily peel them off, the bumble should come out with the use of sterile tweezers or may come out when pulling off the scab.Don't force the scabs off just keep soaking and using the iodine till the easily peel up. Now you'll need to pack the holes with antibiotic cream and wrap to keep the feet clean till they heal same for the leg. Don't peel the scab off her leg just keep soaking it and applying the antibiotic cream till healed I wouldn't even wrap at this point. Keep her away from flies if you have them flies love open wounds and will lay their eggs in it and you'll have maggots which can be deadly.

Thank you for your advise, Miss Lydia and jducour. I didn't even know the bumbles were something bad. I thought it was just crud stuck to her feet. I'll start the recommended treatment tomorrow. I plan on wrapping the ankle wound after each treatment to protect it from the flies. She had maggots in the wound before, so I want to avoid getting them again.

Would you recommended hanging her in a sling to keep her off her feet? Up till now I've been keeping them in a pen will dry straw.

So the large pinkish lumps will come off? this is the first time I've raised ducks, and I didn't realize they were abnormal. I'll be checking the other duck for bumbles as well. I'd hate to loose them as they just started laying.

thanks again.

Thank you for your advise, Miss Lydia and jducour. I didn't even know the bumbles were something bad. I thought it was just crud stuck to her feet. I'll start the recommended treatment tomorrow. I plan on wrapping the ankle wound after each treatment to protect it from the flies. She had maggots in the wound before, so I want to avoid getting them again.

Would you recommended hanging her in a sling to keep her off her feet? Up till now I've been keeping them in a pen will dry straw.

So the large pinkish lumps will come off? this is the first time I've raised ducks, and I didn't realize they were abnormal. I'll be checking the other duck for bumbles as well. I'd hate to loose them as they just started laying.

thanks again.
I would let them walk as usual in a clean, dry area. It's a good idea to check your other duck, usually it is the result of their habitat and care - so if they came together, they most likely have the same issues. Good luck! Please let us know how it goes!

@rogerschickens Once you start treatment the scabs will begin to loosen it may take up to a week but don't pull them off if they resist, wait till they pull up when using your finger nail, Once the scabs are off you'll see the bumble and can pull it out with sterile tweezers or it may come out when the scabs come off. But keep her in as clean an area as you can and wrap once the scabs come off to keep it from getting nasty inside while it's healing. Bumble is a form of staff so make sure to wash your hands well after treating her, I've had 2 chickens with bumble and both have healed fine from it. I am treating a 3rd hen now. Keep us updated on how she is doing. I think the warm Epsom salt water will help her leg injury too.

Well I think there's progress, but I'm not sure in which direction yet. The scabs on her leg are starting to fall off. Is it normal for the skin to be white and soft instead of the hard yellow?

Also some of the yellow is falling off further up her leg.

Thirdly, the nail on her thumb is coming off. I'm not sure if it is a new injury - from climbing into a pool my neighbor gave them while I was away - or if it was already damaged in the first accident, or if it is being affected by the infection.
idunno.gif

Lastly, I was able to gently pull off a bumble scab from her better foot and from one of her sister's feet. I didn't find any puss or foreign objects, just raw flesh. The scab on the swollen foot is still hanging on.

I better invest in a gauze factory, because I'm sure going through a lot!
ep.gif

Well I think there's progress, but I'm not sure in which direction yet. The scabs on her leg are starting to fall off. Is it normal for the skin to be white and soft instead of the hard yellow?

Also some of the yellow is falling off further up her leg.

Thirdly, the nail on her thumb is coming off. I'm not sure if it is a new injury - from climbing into a pool my neighbor gave them while I was away - or if it was already damaged in the first accident, or if it is being affected by the infection.
idunno.gif

Lastly, I was able to gently pull off a bumble scab from her better foot and from one of her sister's feet. I didn't find any puss or foreign objects, just raw flesh. The scab on the swollen foot is still hanging on.

I better invest in a gauze factory, because I'm sure going through a lot!
ep.gif
@rogerschickens I know what you mean about gauze factory My flocks med chest looks better than mine. lol
Okay be sure not to pull the scab off until they pull up easily when you put your nail under them then you know they are ready. The bumble on that foot is going to take longer to treat, did you get the clear iodine. Best stuff in the world for treating bumble. As for her leg looks like she lost some scales[for lack of a better word] and that is probably why the skin is white maybe as it continues to heal the normal color will return maybe not if the skin was damaged. but it look like it is healing good. And she may have snagged her nail on the pool or other things and that is why is came off or could have been in same accident. just keep up with the soaks etc. I have a few who have lost nails and they heal good. Looks to be quite a bit of swelling still so keep up the Epsom salt soaks using a strong solution of half to full cup of ES to 1 gallon of warm water. Have you been using oral antibiotics? is the leg feel hot or hotter than the other?

I have been using strong Epsom salt solution.
I'm usually short on time, I haven't noticed if the foot is warmer. What kind of antibiotics can I give her?

I have been using strong Epsom salt solution.
I'm usually short on time, I haven't noticed if the foot is warmer. What kind of antibiotics can I give her?
You can pick up Duramycin at most feed stores but if there isn't heat I'm not sure if you should start antibiotics lets see if @casportpony is on and can say.
Do you think the swelling has gone down at all?

Back
Top Bottom