Injured hen, puppy played with her

_dizzy_

Chirping
May 5, 2022
We have a puppy who's been around chickens pretty much her entire life(she was born on a homestead and we bought her for our homestead). We know that puppies can get rough with chickens so we've been training her to be calm with them and to play with her big brother instead. He used to also have problems playing with the chickens and killed two chicks. He's only ever approaches the chickens to see what their eating now.
She hasn't been getting any better, she's a Newfie/pyr mix and he's a pyr.

She's injured 2 other hens(one she injured twice) and yesterday she injured a third hen.
We try to bring her with us when we can or someone stays home to watch her, but we couldn't. She had been good for the past week around the chickens so we hoped for the best because we couldn't bring her and she can't stay inside as she's still bad about being gentle with our rabbits and will get into their enclosures to play with them.

Anyway, this hen that she injured yesterday has so far been the worst. The other two just got feathers pulled and 1-2 puncture wounds. This hen is covered in puncture wounds, bruises, and has a huge blister on her shoulder. She also suffered from what seemed to be hypothermia because it was cold and rained while we were away. She was laying in an open area when I found her, soaked and mentally gone. She came back to after I put her in my room and waited for her to warm back up.

I can't possibly find all the puncture wounds to sanitize and ointment everyday during her healing. The worst injure in her though is above her cloaca and it's deep. It's inflamed and clearly causes her great pain. I'm afraid she's going to hold an egg.

I bathed her last night to get the slobber and dirt off to provide some level of sanitization. She was so done with her day that she didn't put up a fight while I shampooed her gently. She ate after I dried her off, but won't eat so far this morning. Drank a bunch though.

TLDR, meds I gave her, and questions: Had to leave the puppy home without supervision, she can't be inside. She injured a hen badly and I cleaned her up. Puncture wounds, blister, bruises, deep wound above cloaca. Washed her off last night, she ate some. So far this morning she's refused food, but drank a lot.

I gave her half a baby aspirin last night and a dose of oral enrofloxacin 10%.

Should I give her a whole tablet of baby aspiring each day(half morning half night) since her deep injury is likely giving her the greatest deal of pain?

Would an epsom salt bath work to help sanitize her wounds?

Additional advice you'd like to add? It's alright if you also give puppy advice

Edit: literally seconds after posting this she's started eating! Yay!

Last edited:
The hen is probably in quite a bit of shock. I would give her electrolytes or sugar water and try to clean ALL her wounds with saline solution and coat them in neosporin without the pain reliever in it. Can you post some pictures of the hen and her injuries? If the puppy keeps doing this I suggest putting it in a kennel or not leaving it unattended.

That's awful!! I'd say keep that puppy away from chickens in the future. Some dogs never learn to behave around chickens. If you want, you could get a training collar for the dog and try to teach her not to attack chickens that way.

The hen is probably in quite a bit of shock. I would give her electrolytes or sugar water and try to clean ALL her wounds with saline solution and coat them in neosporin without the pain reliever in it. Can you post some pictures of the hen and her injuries? If the puppy keeps doing this I suggest putting it in a kennel or not leaving it unattended.
I coated the worst deep wound with neo this morning(one above cloaca). The hen is a buff Orpington. I think her legs hurt, it doesn't seem like she's moved around much in her cage today. I was out of the house and just got home. She's also being docile and sitting in my lap. She never does that, she's my least sociable hen. Upset that she's in so much pain she can't fight me, but also glad for this opportunity to just sit and bond with her.
I've attached the injuries I've deemed worst(Also because the smaller ones are hard to find in all her fluff).

Attachments

• PXL_20230213_230516696.jpg
    PXL_20230213_230516696.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230213_230631841.jpg
    PXL_20230213_230631841.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20230213_230801842~2.jpg
    PXL_20230213_230801842~2.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230213_230609331~2.jpg
    PXL_20230213_230609331~2.jpg