Injured rooster

emhalloran

Chirping
Jan 28, 2016
Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Hi all,
This may be a long winded story,
My neighbours decided they didn’t want their three roosters any more and threw them out of their coop apparently in hope a fox or dog would kill them overnight (I’m very upset someone would do that to an animal). Anyway they terrorised my flock and have given them lice and I had the lovely morning greeting of two decapitated roosters near my coops plus something tried to get into the coops (whatever killed the roosters)

I thought the third one must be dead too but couldn’t find it until this afternoon. He had been hiding under an old car on our property and when I found him he was badly dehydrated and unable to stand due to the weather being warm today. I managed to catch him and he isn’t in great shape. The fox/ dog has bitten him on the side (only graze type bites remarkably), and his head is bloodied (fox/dog). My roo has had a go at some point too I reckon.

I put him in our spare coop we use for broodies and sick chickens and gave him food and water. He drank so much water very quickly and I noticed he was gurgling when breathing after finishing drinking. When I went and visited him again a short time ago he wasn’t making noise when breathing but a little when pecking at food. I don’t know why I’m worried about someone’s unwanted rooster I just hate seeing animals in bad shape
Is it possible for an adult chicken to aspirate water by itself or maybe he has a bacterial infection from dog bite? I checked him over and he is very thin and malnourished, covered in lice as well (not well cared for). He fought with my rooster so now my louse free flock of ten will need to be treated

I’m sorry this is isn’t an actual answer, But who the heck would even do that?!

I know right! I honestly felt sick to the stomach when I found the dead roosters....I almost vomited and broke down crying
I can’t actually believe someone would do such a thing ...the poor boys were defenceless the sad thing is I blame myself even though they weren’t mine, I tried for hours to catch them yesterday with no luck as I was going to take them to the local shelter or vet where at least they would be treated humanely
I held the rooster I found in my arms for ages and he buried his head against me and fell asleep for a bit the only love he’s probably ever got I would say I hope I can help him ....I have three boys already so rehoming will be the only option as it’s unfair on the girls

How is he doing?

It sounds like you are taking care of him. I would definitely check him for other wounds that may be hidden under the feathers. Treat him for the lice too (what do you use?).

To answer one of your questions, yes, he could have aspirated a little water if he was that dehydrated and eager to drink. Hopefully you won't hear anymore gurgling and all will be well with that.

I'm sorry that an irresponsible person put you in this situation, but you have stepped up, did the right thing and helped the poor fella. Even if you can't keep him, do what you can to tend to his wounds, keep him hydrated and eating, until you can make arrangement for someone else to take him.

Thanks everyone for your support I really appreciate it! :) I love chickens and can’t stand to see them in pain and can’t stand people who treat animals badly :he I am actually studying to be a vet and hope be a chicken vet at the end.

He was much better this morning .....he tried to get away when I went near him definitely normal rooster behaviour but looks a bit beaten up ...he is a very lucky boy!
He has stopped gurgling when he breathes now as well which I am glad about. He must have been so thirsty and gulped it down and got some in the wrong spot.

I treat them with a powder called “pestene” which I have used on my chooks and their coops in the past with good results. I will check him over for other wounds tomorrow as the weather is rather bad tonight where live as I know dogs have bacteria in their saliva that can harm birds, he may need antibiotics. I have just de wormed my flock but I’ll give him some de wormer tomorrow too.

I plan on treating his lice tomorrow and checking him over a bit more. Once I get some condition onto him with food he will be a lovely looking rooster. He looks malnourished at the moment it’s like his head and comb are normal size but his body a little scrawny but I’m sure with food and love he will be fine :)

I would love to keep him but already have three roosters and it would be unfair on my hens to have any more roosters plus my roosters wouldn’t take well to more males :rolleyes:

Hi all
Thought I’d post an update on the rooster :)
He’s doing well and has made a huge improvement :celebrate
He is eating again! Yay! He is also now able to jump onto the roost in his coop :)
I have been feeding him pellets and he gets an egg every day for protein to help with healing
I just put betadine on his wounds which are healing nicely! Once I caught him and put the first lot on one wound he lay down and let me put it on all his wounds no resistance what so ever and he closed his eyes and rested his head on my lap ...what a lovely boy he is :love
The skin is a little green around one wound area but I have had chooks with greenish skin before so I think its ok? He’s well in himself and is improving so should be ok :)

Once wounds are healed enough I will treat for lice so the powder doesn’t make his wounds sting

Also I will put a pic of him up soon :)

8F578ABC-3C3D-4DC8-A104-E45C1042443B.jpeg
8E513DBE-206F-4CEB-9E53-2177D0CEA257.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom