Injured Rooster

LittleWhiteDove

Songster
Oct 22, 2016
Hedley British Columbia
Hello everyone,
I am currently looking after my moms small hobby farm well she is away. When I was letting the birds out the other morning I had to physical pick my moms Churckey (turkey who thinks he is a chicken) off of a young rooster who is bound for the freezer come middle of March. The rooster wasn't looking to good but I couldn't feel or see and injuries on him. I tucked him away in a nest box that is never used so the others would leave him alone. I went out an hour later and my moms wild female turkey (she calls her flyaway home. she is the only wild turkey in the area) was standing out side the coop door with the injured rooster at her feet. His back had been skinned. I chased her off, scoped him up and segregated him.
This morning when I checked on the rooster he was standing up, his wounds are scabbed over but he is holding his head weird and wont open his eyes. I did manage to get him to drink some water. He can flap his wings, his poop looks normal. He dose walk around a little bit and doesn't seem to limp. My step dad plans to kull him today, however my mom promised me a bird for my freezer for looking after the farm and I miss having chickens, so I was thinking of keeping him as a pet.
I was wondering if a single rooster can live on his own as a pet (he will get human contact everyday)? Do you think he will survive if he is blind, and can't move his head normally? If he can't be kept on his own as a pet then my step dad will kull him tonight.

Note: His other injures look bad but they are just surface injures and I have dealt with injuries like that before.

DSC03603.JPG

DSC03604.JPG

DSC03605.JPG

DSC03606.JPG

Hi! My rooster did that to my poor hen once, she looked just like that but she wouldn't even stand. I just put her in a small dog crate with a heat lamp (it was winter) with food and electrolytes in her water. the next day she looked a little better. Then she started to eat and drink, and a week later she was almost totally better. Normal and perky. I think he'll be fine. Good luck! I'd just rinse off his wound and give him some TLC. I think he'd be a great pet :rolleyes:

Hi! My rooster did that to my poor hen once, she looked just like that but she wouldn't even stand. I just put her in a small dog crate with a heat lamp (it was winter) with food and electrolytes in her water. the next day she looked a little better. Then she started to eat and drink, and a week later she was almost totally better. Normal and perky. I think he'll be fine. Good luck! I'd just rinse off his wound and give him some TLC. I think he'd be a great pet :rolleyes:
Yes, but the OP said he's bound for freezer camp in about 5 to 6 weeks. I'd end his suffering now if that's the case.

I had a duck whose eye looked like that, I had some bunny eye infection ointment I put right in her eye for a few days and it cleared right up. She was attacked by a hawk, but she’s fine now.

Back
Top Bottom