Inside Too Long - Possible?

ugachickenmama

Chirping
Oct 13, 2022
Northeast GA
Well our plans have changed, as plans do . . . Monday morning quarterback says we should have had the coop/run TOTALLY READY before ever getting the chicks - but here we are . . .

So half of my girls will be 6 weeks old on Monday and half will be 5 weeks old on Monday.
We are in NE Georgia - if you wait a minute the weather changes - - - freezing last week, 90 today.
They are off of heat and happy.

Due to run plans changing (coop is done), I need to keep them inside a bit longer - they have PLENTY of space (just "upgraded" them today).

QUESTION - - - is it possible to keep them inside TOO long???

(All I can find is how old they need to be to go out . . . we will be past that point, no problem!)

Last edited:
they have PLENTY of space (just "upgraded" them today).
Recommended space at age 5-6 weeks is two square feet each. If they have less than that, they do not have "PLENTY of space." Depending on how many chicks you have, that might be a very large space indeed.

When people keep chicks inside for "too long," the problems usually are:
--annoys the person (dust, noise, smell, etc.)
--not enough space
--too much heat (room temperature is usually fine, but keeping them under a heat lamp would not be.)

You said they are off heat, and you think they have enough space, so I think it will just be a question of whether they bother you.

Recommended space at age 5-6 weeks is two square feet each.
Just calculated - - - they have 3.8sqft per bird . . . plenty! ;-)

Yes . . . off heat . . . and in a garage space (long story - we park in a carport at our "main door on the main floor" but have a basement garage) where I open the door to let ambient air in daily and screen it off.

Not bothering me at the moment - I'd rather get the coop/run right . . . sounds like I shouldn't be concerned!
Thanks!

Probably more inconvenient for you having them inside, than it is for them.

If the coop is completely done and can be safely locked/closed up, you can move them out into coop only for the time being. They don't need run access yet.
Great point!
I would just feel bad locking them up in there! Ha.

And although I really really would love for them to free range, I am SO NERVOUS to let them . . . I was not prepared to be the "mama hen" I have turned into . . . and we do have a good number of predators in the area - - - my husband captured a gray fox on the backyard trail camera a few days ago - yikes!

Just calculated - - - they have 3.8sqft per bird . . . plenty! ;-)
Good! Too many other people crowd their first chickens, and don't even realize that is what they are doing.

Yes . . . off heat . . . and in a garage space (long story - we park in a carport at our "main door on the main floor" but have a basement garage) where I open the door to let ambient air in daily and screen it off.

Not bothering me at the moment - I'd rather get the coop/run right . . . sounds like I shouldn't be concerned!
Thanks!
Sounds good :thumbsup

Great point!
If the coop is larger than their current space, there is no need to feel bad about shutting them in it.

(And if it is not larger than their current space, you might want to reconsider how many chickens you are planning to keep in it, since adult chickens should typically have 4 square feet of space each in their coop.)

Great point!
You shouldn't, provided the coop has ample space, ventilation and natural light. Putting them in the coop now also has the side benefit of helping home them to the coop - by the time you're ready to let them out, they'll definitely consider the coop "home base."

You shouldn't, provided the coop has ample space, ventilation and natural light. Putting them in the coop now also has the side benefit of helping home them to the coop - by the time you're ready to let them out, they'll definitely consider the coop "home base."
OH, it's an OverEZ coop . . . so I'm suddenly (post purchase) questioning the ventilation . . . and my hubs is working on adjustments. Urgh.

I wish we'd have built . . . but I've already been waiting YEARS AND YEARS to do this so I just jumped out there and bought the coop and bought the chicks . . . and now it's not an if/when situation - it's a NOW thing! Whoop.

Well our plans have changed, as plans do . . . Monday morning quarterback says we should have had the coop/run TOTALLY READY before ever getting the chicks - but here we are . . .
Snarky, snarky, snarky, People with experience tell you that, that's different from a Monday morning quarterback.

So half of my girls will be 6 weeks old on Monday and half will be 5 weeks old on Monday.
We are in NE Georgia - if you wait a minute the weather changes - - - freezing last week, 90 today.
They are off of heat and happy. (All I can find is how old they need to be to go out . . . we will be past that point, no problem!)

Yes you are already past that point. I've had 5-1/2 week old chicks spend the night with lows in the mid 20's Fahrenheit. You have options.

Due to run plans changing (coop is done), I need to keep them inside a bit longer - they have PLENTY of space (just "upgraded" them today).

Not really. It's about your convenience and wants. Many people want them outside as early as possible, usually mentioning dust, noise, or smell. If those are not bothering you then they are not bothering you. Your basement is different than keeping them in your bedroom or next to the dining room table.

Some people like to keep them inside longer for their own reasons. They may not want to go outside in whatever weather they have to care for them. In really cold weather it's easier to keep water from freezing if they are inside. It's easier to socialize them and make lap chickens out of them if they are convenient for you to fool with them. Some people are just scared to put them out.

Just because they can do something doesn't mean they have to. Just because they can survive those lower temperatures doesn't mean it hurts them to stay warmer as long as they don't overheat. Chicks raised in summer don't grow up with those temperatures. Just because they can roost at a certain age doesn't mean they have to. I let mine decide when they want to roost but you see a lot of threads on here wanting to know how to make them roost now. They don't have to be in the run and pecking at the ground or eating treats at certain age just because they can. As long as they are healthy you are doing OK. And it sounds like you are doing OK.

Back
Top Bottom