Instant Pot Rooster...Yes!

FoodFreedomNow

Free Ranging
7 Years
Aug 11, 2016
Everywhere, all at once
I recently processed a 2 year old rooster and after resting for several days, popped him into my Instant Pot. After the standard 30 minute cooking time, I poked a thigh with a fork: still tough. No problem! I just cooked him for another 30 minutes and he was as tender as a young cockerel...but far more flavorful! 😋

Do you pressure cook your roos, too? What did we do with older birds before the advent of the electric pressure cooker?? 😄

Last edited:
Makes sense! But the electric ones are almost foolproof. They even tell you if the lid isn't closed properly. 🤣
Mine will not work if you do not close the lid properly, you will know . . .;) Pressure cooker fried chicken, is my favorite thing to do with mine. You can use the old recipes in your new cooker. I like to brown my bird first then cook him, I do cut him into nice serving size pieces, durmsticks & thighs mostly -- only one pot needed. You can still do that with the new electric cookers, too.

I heat a cube of butter on the stove and slowly cook my flour in it, until it turns slightly brown. I sauté some mushrooms, onions, carrot, celery, garlic and potatoes on the side and mix them in when I am thickening the soup stock to make the gravy for the stew. I throw in some chopped thai chili peppers to kick it up a notch. Sometimes, I reduce some red or white wine into syrup and add it to the sauce. Heritage chickens are better for stews, because they hold their texture and don't dry out.

Grandma used a pressure cooker on the stove :gig
But I use a 12 qt electric pressure cooker. Took 2&1/2 hrs for a whole roo, I think if he was cut up it would have been quicker
2.5 hrs cooking time seem too long. I filled the water cover 2/3 or completely cover the chicken and cook for about 4-8 minutes (depend chicken age) then let it sit another 30 minutes until the safety lock release. This process workout well and save energy in the last 15 years.

2.5 hrs cooking time seem too long. I filled the water cover 2/3 or completely cover the chicken and cook for about 4-8 minutes (depend chicken age) then let it sit another 30 minutes until the safety lock release. This process workout well and save energy in the last 15 years.
I thought so too.
I did it 30 minutes at a time, about 15 minutes of natural release. He was a big boy 2&1/2 yrs half CX

Back
Top Bottom