Integrated new flock with older hens

CroydonChickenLady

In the Brooder
May 25, 2023
I just integrated 8 about 14 -18 week pullets with my 3 maybe a year old hens yesterday afternoon. It seems 2 of the older hens are scaring the new girls into not coming out of the hen house into the yard. I have food and water in the house for them so they should be ok. It is 90 degrees outside and it seems hot to stay in all there all day. When will they start to relax? I know I probably just need to give them more time, but how long? Thank you in advance.

How long did you do see but no touch before putting them together?

Any photos of your run? Is there plenty of clutter for them to hide behind if needed https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140 , space to escape the hens, extra feeders and waterers so they can eat and drink without being chased constantly?
I just got this metal run put up a week ago. I had the little ones in the little house behind the metal run and the older 3 hens had all the land around it. They have been out there in the same yard for a month now so I think they are pretty used to each other. There is a cockerel which I wonder if that makes the older hens more territorial. I did notice that once I put up another sunshade the 2 flocks can be outside at the same time and kind of leave each other alone. The bully is the gold hen standing by the metal door in the picture. She tells them all what to do. I am going to build a play structure this weekend so hopefully it helps.

Attachments

• 20230712_134534_HDR.jpg
    20230712_134534_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
Ok so you do have some clutter. Looks like all the food and water is in one corner though, so spreading it out and using clutter to kind of hide one feed station from the next would help if there's any food guarding at all.

Do they all free range at all or is it just the adults? How big is the run?

Back
Top Bottom