Integrating young pullets with mature hens - what's the best age?

Ugh....I've been trying to integrate my new Orp into my existing flock for a week now and I have had zero luck....It feels like I have so many factors playing against me.

When free ranging, my dominant hen, Ellie, will go completely out of her way just to peck, spet on, and torment my new little Orp, Gracie. If I take her out of the flock, one of my Delawares, Iris, will go after Gracie, but only if she tries to get really close to the flock, like within a foot or so of any of the remaining girls. If I take both Ellie and Iris out of the flock and say, put them back in the run, everyone does fine.

At this point, 3 of my 5 established flock members are out free ranging and have a grand ole time with baby Gracie. The older girls decide it's time for bed and go into their run, well, Gracie follows. This is the point where everyone loses their minds......I have a 10x10 square run with the girls coop, feeder, waterer, roosts...etc... in it. Once the 3 older girls and Gracie get into the run, everyone gangs up on Gracie. They ran her into the coop tonight to pin her in the corner and peck her....I have no idea what to do about this.

Suggestions, comments, advice...Gracie is lonely and I'd really love to have her being part of the girls some time soon.

A single bird being integrated can take longer than a group. I would expect weeks, and maybe a month or two before she's part of the flock. Keep her separated when you can't watch until so they don't peck her too much which will set everything back.

Ugh....I've been trying to integrate my new Orp into my existing flock for a week now and I have had zero luck....It feels like I have so many factors playing against me.

When free ranging, my dominant hen, Ellie, will go completely out of her way just to peck, spet on, and torment my new little Orp, Gracie. If I take her out of the flock, one of my Delawares, Iris, will go after Gracie, but only if she tries to get really close to the flock, like within a foot or so of any of the remaining girls. If I take both Ellie and Iris out of the flock and say, put them back in the run, everyone does fine.

At this point, 3 of my 5 established flock members are out free ranging and have a grand ole time with baby Gracie. The older girls decide it's time for bed and go into their run, well, Gracie follows. This is the point where everyone loses their minds......I have a 10x10 square run with the girls coop, feeder, waterer, roosts...etc... in it. Once the 3 older girls and Gracie get into the run, everyone gangs up on Gracie. They ran her into the coop tonight to pin her in the corner and peck her....I have no idea what to do about this.

Suggestions, comments, advice...Gracie is lonely and I'd really love to have her being part of the girls some time soon.
Maybe take 2 of the older birds that do not bully the newbie and house them together.....
.....once they form a 'unit' integration might go smoother.

Well I have great news!!
celebrate.gif

The escapes are working so well!! The littles can go back and forth with ease and are now safe from the bigs when they get "bossy".
The littles are getting more adventurous every day and are now sleeping with the bigs without incident, once they are all inside.

As the bigs are going to bed they chase the littles away but once they're all in the littles venture up the ladder and go in and out the door. They still aren't getting up on their roost by themselves or getting off in the mornings but we are making progress. Once they venture inside at night I give them 5-10 minutes to roost and if they don't I put them up on the side roost. In the mornings I have noticed that the bravest of the 3 littles is actually on the ladder roost with the bigs while the other 2 are on the side roost. I give the littles 10-15 minutes after the bigs come rushing out and then I get the littles off their roost and they head out the door. The bigs still get really pecky and somewhat aggressive in the mornings so I keep my water bottle in hand until the littles wander to their side, squirting any bigs that get too aggressive. Once that happens I leave them be and let them figure it out.

It's so nice to not have to be out there while they're mingling and I don't have worry that the littles are going to get hurt. I know it's still possible but now they can get out of a rough spot without my intervention. The bigs have gotten to where they recognize the water bottle. With a few of them all I have to do is lift it and point at them and they stop what they're doing and walk away. It won't be long before integration is complete and all will be well.

Thanks so much for the word on escapes and for all the great advice! I appreciate it more than you know...
bow.gif

Well I have great news!!
celebrate.gif

The escapes are working so well!! The littles can go back and forth with ease and are now safe from the bigs when they get "bossy".
The littles are getting more adventurous every day and are now sleeping with the bigs without incident, once they are all inside.

As the bigs are going to bed they chase the littles away but once they're all in the littles venture up the ladder and go in and out the door. They still aren't getting up on their roost by themselves or getting off in the mornings but we are making progress. Once they venture inside at night I give them 5-10 minutes to roost and if they don't I put them up on the side roost. In the mornings I have noticed that the bravest of the 3 littles is actually on the ladder roost with the bigs while the other 2 are on the side roost. I give the littles 10-15 minutes after the bigs come rushing out and then I get the littles off their roost and they head out the door. The bigs still get really pecky and somewhat aggressive in the mornings so I keep my water bottle in hand until the littles wander to their side, squirting any bigs that get too aggressive. Once that happens I leave them be and let them figure it out.

It's so nice to not have to be out there while they're mingling and I don't have worry that the littles are going to get hurt. I know it's still possible but now they can get out of a rough spot without my intervention. The bigs have gotten to where they recognize the water bottle. With a few of them all I have to do is lift it and point at them and they stop what they're doing and walk away. It won't be long before integration is complete and all will be well.

Thanks so much for the word on escapes and for all the great advice! I appreciate it more than you know...
bow.gif

So glad things are finally settling down with your girls. It's a great day when everyone gets along!!

Originally Posted by islandgirl82
So glad things are finally settling down with your girls. It's a great day when everyone gets along!!

......or at least the day you can stop playing 'lifeguard' every minute...lol.

Grats @chickenlady1150 !!

So very true, it feels good!

The heat finally broke too. No more triple digits since we've had rain the last 2 days and nights and highs in the mid 70's. Feels like paradise and the birds seem happy too. The bigs are hanging mostly under the coop while it's actively raining but the littles are out playing in it. The littles have shelter and dry land on their side but they act like 2 yr olds who find a puddle in the parking lot, lol. It's so great to sit at my kitchen table and watch them play and do what chickens do. Once in a while they venture under the coop and as long as it's just the brave little one she's left alone but when the other 2 try and join her they get scolded and chased back to their side. All is well in the land of chickens and I am feeling quite content to have a flock again.

Maybe take 2 of the older birds that do not bully the newbie and house them together.....
.....once they form a 'unit' integration might go smoother.

Thanks for the advice Aart!

I took my SLW and buddied her up with my not so little Orp. They hit it off right away and didn't have any problems free ranging together or being penned up with each other. I left them in my smaller run for a couple days then turned them out with the other girls last night. Everything went really well until my little Orp wandered into the main run and into the coop. My Delaware's followed and ended up chasing her out of the run and around the yard until I could get them broken up (about 10 minutes) Because they decided to be bullies, I locked everyone back up for the night. I'll try again today, hopefully it'll got smoother today.

We have two young ones to integrate soon, all the advice helps. I have a plastic chair I turn upside down when not in use, just had rain so will need to wipe it down but at least no chicken mess on it. I find it very relaxing to watch them, kind of the same effect as watching fish.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom