Integration: the struggle is real!

Might want to try this: set up a temporary run space outside for both groups of birds to use, big as you can manage. Stakes with some snow fencing, deer fencing, chicken wire, whatever you've got or can get for cheap. Because it's not predator proof you'll need to keep an eye on them, but it'll be a bit safer than having them completely free ranging. Clutter it up with whatever you have handy (like my shed has plenty of junk like old pallets, broken lawn carts, etc), then let both groups have access to it. Hopefully they will see it as neutral space - territory that belongs to neither side - and with the clutter they'll be busy exploring instead of picking at each other. I would try doing that for a good week or so, for a few hours at a time (whatever you have time for), and hopefully that will familiarize them with one another enough that when they're back in their normal enclosure, the "other birds" won't seem as foreign anymore.

As far as using the coop, don't force the younger ones to join the older ones. When they can mostly get along outside of the coop, you can start encouraging them to use the coop by shutting off access to wherever they're currently spending the night. OR... if you plan on building the new coop very very soon, you may want to hold off on trying to get them to coop together and do it at that time. Just as with the temporary run suggestion, the new coop would become neutral ground to both groups, so you're less likely to see bullying going on as the chickens will be too busy trying to figure out what's going on in this new environment.

Thank you for your time and suggestions, we will see what we can rig up for an outdoor area this weekend. Neutral territory was what I was thinking for the larger coop as well. So this sounds like it may help. I’m desperate and will try anything within reason!

Do you NEED the littles to go into the coop with the big girls now, or do you just WANT it to happen? If it's a want I would just wait & let them go back to their little coop until they're ready & everyone is getting along or until you introduce the new coop & it's new neutral territory to both sets of birds.

ETA: yea, what @rosemarythyme said, I just read her post! LOL

Well, it’s more of a want. i mean ultimately that’s what one wants right? A nice happy coop of girls! The dog house we have in there takes up so much of their run space and it’s just time. It doesn’t have a door on it either, so we have to go out there into the the run and cover it up and uncover in the mornings, so it would be nice to have them all in the regular coop.
Probably will just hope it will happen, and if not, Have them all go into the new coop together.
Thanks again!

Hello! I did read your post, every word because Im in a somewhat similar situation, except I have one old hen and 4 10 week pullets separated by a temporary partial pop-open barrier. The barrier separates the run into two portions. After 7 days of partial supervised visits, the chickens and the old hen have been freely moving around on both sides now. I keep the pop-door on the barrier open 24x7 now.

Same issue, at night the pullets go their way to the temporary cardboard box on the separated side of the run, the old hen clambers up into the coop on the other side of the run.

I have not yet figured how to get the pullets to get into the coop at night, not wanting that shit-show as you so aptly put it. I've tried putting raisins on the ramp to encourage them to get in there and inspect it, one of them did but the old hen came dashing up and the pullet scattered to the wind.

My plan this weekend is to take away the barrier completely. SO far they have adjusted fairly well to the hen, scurrying away when she approaches, she does peck on one but there are enough places to get to so its really not an issue. Other than the fact that she isn't "hanging" out with the pullets. It will take time.

Bottom line - pullets and old hen still sleeping in different areas.

How did yours do? Your post was in Jan, its March, so I'm assuming something worth telling happened? I would LOVE to know!

Some ideas I have. Often times, when younger birds are introduced to older birds they are also in a strange place, even if they could see the place, it is not the same as being there.

So what I would suggest is either, let the big girls out of this set up, or switch the places, putting the big girls where the littles are, and the littles where the big girls are. This lets the littles explore the space without getting chased. Lets them find feed stations, hideouts.

And crazy as it sounds, I think that the big girls see them in there, and the sky does not fall.

Let the bigs in as late as possible. The urge to roost will be nearly as strong as the urge to fight.

Pull one or two of the wicked birds, and keep them where you have the chicks, letting chicks work it out with the remaining older birds. Even if you have to, just put one older bird with the chicks, one bird can't chase all of them! Leave them for a couple of days, making the others roost in the dog house. Put the youngsters in the coop, with just one adult bird until they go there themselves.

Then add another adult bird, and then the works.

Hideouts, and clutter are important, with multiple feed stations.

Once in a while, you will get a bird that does not fit in the set up with these birds, get rid of her. Always solve for peace in the flock. This is a flock responsibility. She will ruin the enjoyment of your flock for you and the other hens.

Mrs K

Well, sorry, have been working a lot lately.
I did try switching the girls around and the poor little ones would not go into the dog house coop when the bigger girl was in there, only one of the younger would go in with her.

I left the gate open between the runs and hoped that eventually i might get lucky and they would just go in. One would, then, no one for a few days, back and forth.

Finally, I took the dog house out and put the main bully in time out in the garage. Also had a long talk with them all. That night I had to help a few in. The next two nights I had to help two of the older ones in, 😂,

Now they all go in, no squabbling and the bully is still in the garage.

It also seems to help that the dog house is out and there is so. Ugh more room for them in the run! Yay!

Working on the big coop today, finally some good weather!

Last edited:
Hello! I did read your post, every word because Im in a somewhat similar situation, except I have one old hen and 4 10 week pullets separated by a temporary partial pop-open barrier. The barrier separates the run into two portions. After 7 days of partial supervised visits, the chickens and the old hen have been freely moving around on both sides now. I keep the pop-door on the barrier open 24x7 now.

Same issue, at night the pullets go their way to the temporary cardboard box on the separated side of the run, the old hen clambers up into the coop on the other side of the run.

I have not yet figured how to get the pullets to get into the coop at night, not wanting that shit-show as you so aptly put it. I've tried putting raisins on the ramp to encourage them to get in there and inspect it, one of them did but the old hen came dashing up and the pullet scattered to the wind.

My plan this weekend is to take away the barrier completely. SO far they have adjusted fairly well to the hen, scurrying away when she approaches, she does peck on one but there are enough places to get to so its really not an issue. Other than the fact that she isn't "hanging" out with the pullets. It will take time.

Bottom line - pullets and old hen still sleeping in different areas.

How did yours do? Your post was in Jan, its March, so I'm assuming something worth telling happened? I would LOVE to know!

Back
Top Bottom