Interior Coop Pics

Well, it is what it is. There are some great discussions in there and some BEAUTIFUL coops! This is our experimental version...:jumpyBy the way, they will be here next Wednesday!!! :celebrateGot myself one of those mama heat boards too so they'll be cozy until it's warm enough or they're big enough to try the new home out...with some modifications. :hmm I'll take more pics when it's better. Thanks for the referral!

This is the inside of the coop I built a few years ago. I've since learned that the litter boxes under the perches are hard to clean. The front lip should have been on a hinge. Also, the hens don't tend to roost there anyway. They like the rafters.

Attachments

• IMG_4833.jpg
    IMG_4833.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_4904.jpg
    IMG_4904.jpg
    721.4 KB · Views: 625
Here's the inside of my coop. I had a three tier stand-alone roost, but it was a pain in the butt to clean under. With advise from aart and a couple of other users (whose names escape me right now) I redesigned it. I had shelves under the new roosts (for poop boards) but the coop isn't really big enough for that (it's only 4x8) and the chickens wouldn't have anything to do with the new roosts until I removed the shelves. Now I have a couple of under-the-bed storage bins, with some PDZ in them. I scoop them out every morning, takes about 10 mins.
012db3fe2c2a80251d58f7a0f0b8d5585d318130cb.jpg

63FBF1CA-42D7-49A6-8E9B-E04BCEA317AC.jpeg
1FFBFD60-6EB7-4557-BBB8-467B6BD73006.jpeg
Quote:

Okay. I just love this because we were looking at the Lowes sheds the other day. One was on sale, I figure prices now might be a little better, at least in cold weather areas. The one on sale was I think $698 for a 6 x 8, which is smaller than what I'd like, but the 10 x 10s weren't all that much more expensive - I think they were $998, you assemble yourself, the sign said it takes 2.5 hrs. to assemble. (HAHAHA) Comes without roofing.

My husband was concerned about the particle board flooring & rot, and thought a predator could chew thru that, but I see you solved that with the vinyl covering. I was thinking just don't put the flooring in and meshwire the floor instead. Or just meshwire under the flooring, so if it does rot, the wire is there.

Would have to put vents in. And I like windows, so add a couple windows, esp. for hot summer nights.

I absolutely love your clear roofing - never thought of that. I bet your birds will love that. Do you think there will be heat loss issues in the winter?

The thing I love about the sheds is that they open up so fully so you can really get around and clean it out. I was thinking a ladder roost on one side like you have.

Did you have any regrets about your shed kit, or anything you would have done differently next time around? I know they're not the highest quality shed, but for the price, they're good enough for me.
I got a Lowe’s shed and Covered the floor with a piece of sheet vinyl flooring on sale for $15. Wood shavings, poop and water can’t hurt it. I do have their main waterer out in the run so there’s very little moisture inside. I cut my own windows in the shed for lots of ventilation (4 windows) because we’ve had 100 degree weather since July started. And I cut the little door out to the run- a 6x10 chain link dog run where I’m working on more roosts and playground when it gets cooler. Inside, I put a chicken wire wall and door so they get the back 40 inches of the shed and it’s plenty for the feeder, nest boxes and another roost should they decide to sleep indoors.

Attachments

• B33683BE-B3D9-4BDB-AD2E-FCA3CF2CF694.jpeg
    B33683BE-B3D9-4BDB-AD2E-FCA3CF2CF694.jpeg
    521.5 KB · Views: 554
View attachment 1892163 View attachment 1892164
I got a Lowe’s shed and Covered the floor with a piece of sheet vinyl flooring on sale for $15. Wood shavings, poop and water can’t hurt it. I do have their main waterer out in the run so there’s very little moisture inside. I cut my own windows in the shed for lots of ventilation (4 windows) because we’ve had 100 degree weather since July started. And I cut the little door out to the run- a 6x10 chain link dog run where I’m working on more roosts and playground when it gets cooler. Inside, I put a chicken wire wall and door so they get the back 40 inches of the shed and it’s plenty for the feeder, nest boxes and another roost should they decide to sleep indoors.
Looks nice! How many chickens?

I have Two layers and four new chicks in a little pen under the inside roosts with a poop board lid. Even though I bought four girl chicks, I’m pretty sure one is a little rooster. I’ll have to get rid of him before he starts to crow, per neighborhood regs.

Quote:

It varies depending on the time of year, in the spring hatching season could be 2-300 hundred mostly chicks, I normally keep about 40 breeders all the time, and many more in grow out pen's, and the layer pen will differ at times as well, I have had 50 layers in there at one time. So a good average is around 100-125 consistantly.
Thats an awesome design! If I ever get a large enough piece of property, Id love a coop like that!

Back
Top Bottom