Interior layout.... PLEASE HELP!

carsonsig

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2015
ok. 5 chicks... they are outgrowing their brooder, and temps are mild here... so they need to go out.

I am building a 6' wide 4' front to back coop.
3' off the ground for under coop run/feeder space. Run will be expanded this summer as they grow, and I finish a project clearing some room....

Big doors on front.. for cleaning...
Roof slanted, front 1' higher than the back..
So interior is roughly 4x6....

and nest boxes will be externally mounted down the road. I will have a hole in the floor for the ramp... cant do a side hole th

My question is roosting and ramp placement... one end will be the nesting boxes at some point..... the R side....

Where to do roosts? what set up? a diagonal board with 2 roosts on the left... one long Roost along the back?

Guess I am just debating whats ideal as far as where to cut the ramp hole... one chance!!!

Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

This is what I did with the 4x6 that I had.

2 chickies in that one...? so one long roost along the back... I am edging towards that, as it will give me 1' ish per bird... be easy for poo boards...

so for 6... you have 1 nest box, and that one roost? Maybe I am overthinking...!!! I was thinking a longer roost and like 3 boxes for 5...

They all used that one box and yes the one roost. This group was moved in with the big girls shortly after this pic and then I had 7 chickens in this coop for 2 or 3 years and all went well.

bump... anyone else?

Im gonna start with a floor hatch until the run is done, then go to a wall door....

Don't have any pictures right now but I've got a 4*8 coop and I'll try to describe the layout as best I can. Will post pics tonight if you want.

Coop is 8' wide and 4' deep as you face it. Full size door (for people) is on the front wall, basically centered in the right half of the wall. Open that door and their are three bump out nest boxes on the right half of the back wall. The entire left half of the coop is a raised platform (poop board) with three or four (can't remember offhand) roosts running front to back. This makes cleaning easier and leaves the 4'x8' floor for them to walk around when the weather is bad and they don't want to go outside. The pop door is on the left side wall, towards the front.

I would do one (6 ft long x 4" wide) roost bar across the coop, mounted at least 12" away from the back wall (so they don't poo down the wall when they are bigger). Set the roost bar about 18" off the floor, or higher then the entrance to the nest box.

Two nest boxes are plenty for 5 chickens, they often all use the same favorite nest box anyway, but it's good to have another one just in case someone can't wait.

My coop is 4' x 4' for four chickens. Set up similar to what you are planning. However, I personally like a ramp/door on the side instead of a floor hatch just to gain more usable floor space and keep the coop warmer in the winter. Also, the bedding materials won't fall down to the feeder or the dust bath pan below. It is easier to shut the coop door if necessary.

In my case, the coop floor consists of two 2'x4' draws, I can pull them out periodically to dump the shavings to the open area below for cleaning. For everyday maintenance, I just dump out the poop boards. It takes about 10 minutes a day to feed, clean, rake the (DLM) run, and collect eggs.

Even if you are building a run later, it is fine that they don't have a floor hatch to go down below. In the earlier weeks, they are perfectly content to stay inside the coop 24/7 to get used to the coop. You can let them out to play from the big front cleaning door.

Last edited:
I cut the floor hatch...they can use it now... and I can close it up saved the piece... when space allows and I can expand their run... run them out the side... right now it isnt an option.

I will do the across the back roost...! I like that idea. and add 2 nest boxes on the Right side towards the front.... thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom