Intervention: Helping Your Chicks Hatch

Pics
Normal hatching position and the six recognised malpositions
(viewed from the top of the egg)
10-01-14AviagenNormal.gif
Normal Hatching Position

The normal hatching position is where the spine of the embryo runs parallel to the long axis of the egg and the beak is positioned underneath the right wing. The tip of the beak is directed towards the air cell in the blunt pole of the egg. When the beak is under the right wing, the wing holds the shell membrane away from the face of the embryo and thus gives the beak more freedom of movement. In addition, the wing helps stretch the inner shell membrane and helps the piercing of this membrane by the beak. In this way, the embryo gains access to the air cell of the egg and begins to ventilate its lungs.

If the head of the embryo has turned to the right, it stands a good chance of hatching. However, the actual hatching percentage will be influenced by whether the head is above or below the right wing or in the large end or small end of the egg.​
10-01-14AviagenMal1.gif
Malposition 1 – Head between thighs

This is the normal position for the majority of 18-day old embryos and the head normally then begins to turn towards the air cell as the embryo assumes the normal hatching position on day 19. Embryos with their head between their thighs in the hatch debris probably represent either embryos dying around day 18 of incubation or, if still alive, embryos in which development has been retarded.​
10-01-14AviagenMal2.gif
Malposition 2 – Head in small end of egg

Easily identified because the hocks, yolk sac and/or navel of the 18-day+ embryo are immediately visible on opening the shell over the air cell (Figure 19). This position is commonly seen in eggs that have been incubated upside down and is also more prevalent in eggs that have been incubated horizontally compared to eggs incubated with their large ends uppermost. The position can occur in eggs that have been incubated the right way up (especially those eggs with a rounder shape), eggs which have been exposed to high temperatures in the setters or when the angle of turning is too small. The frequency of this malposition is heavily influenced by the percentage of eggs that are set upside down. Ideally, the frequency of this malposition should be less than 10 per cent of total malpositioned embryos.

Eggs that have been set upside down can be reinverted up to day eight of incubation without ill effect. Inverting eggs after this time risks breaking the blood vessels in the chorioallantois which is beginning to attach itself to the shell membranes from day nine onwards. Embryos that are upside down on day 20 of incubation hatch at about 80 per cent of the normal rate.​
10-01-14AviagenMal3.gif
Malposition 3 – Head turned to left

This malposition is more prevalent in eggs incubated large end up than eggs incubated horizontally. In many instances the beak will be above the left wing. When the head turns to the left it reduces the chances of hatching to about 20 per cent.​
10-01-14AviagenMal4.gif
Malposition 4 – Beak away from air cell

The incidence of this position is five times greater in eggs incubated horizontally than large end up and is thought to be nearly always lethal. However, it is a difficult malposition to recognise.​
10-01-14AviagenMal5.gif
Malposition 5 – Feet over head

A common malposition in which one foot or both feet become trapped between the head and the shell (Figure 20) and prevent the normal back thrusts of the head required to pip the eggshell. The feet of the embryo are also involved in the final rotation of the embryo as it cuts off the top of the eggshell to emerge from the egg. Thus, if the feet over head position has not prevented pipping of the shell, it may prevent the final rotation and escape of the embryo. This is usually the second most common malposition, representing about 20 per cent of the total malpositioned embryos.​
10-01-14AviagenMal6.gif
Malposition 6 – Beak above right wing

This is usually the most commonly recorded malposition, representing 50 per cent or more of the total malpositioned embryos. Many embryos will have hatched from this position and it is often regarded as a natural variant of the normal hatching position. However, it has recently been suggested that an excess of embryos in this position could be an indication of embryos experiencing heat stress. Linoleic acid deficiency has also been linked to this malposition.​

What would you recommend I do now?? Leave then another day or two?? So lost
Question. I have a rocker in my incubator. When I set my eggs in on first day do I need to flip the egg 4-6 times end to end till day 18. Or do I put them in small points down and leave them. This I'm not sure of.

Sorry I sure dont.. I'll be going to Wally world tonite. Are there any other kind I can buy also to keep in incubator the next time I try it again. Or will any thermometer work for this.

Now I do see a couple of the eggs still have little veins in them. Cauld those still be alive?? I seen three or four so far that have the veins but this one I did open I didn't see any through the shell. ???

Now I do see a couple of the eggs still have little veins in them. Cauld those still be alive?? I seen three or four so far that have the veins but this one I did open I didn't see any through the shell. ???
If they have veins they might be alive.
Sorry I sure dont.. I'll be going to Wally world tonite. Are there any other kind I can buy also to keep in incubator the next time I try it again. Or will any thermometer work for this.
I asked because I have found that once an egg dies this late in the game that if you use a Braun on it and it reads ~98.5 it's almost always dead. Let all of your eggs come back up to temp, then feel them. If any feel cooler than the others they are probably dead. If some feel quite warm, good chance they are alive. If you feel a cool one, post a candling picture of it.

I dont think I have it in me to do another one
If they have veins they might be alive.

I asked because I have found that once an egg dies this late in the game that if you use a Braun on it and it reads ~98.5 it's almost always dead. Let all of your eggs come back up to temp, then feel them. If any feel cooler than the others they are probably dead. If some feel quite warm, good chance they are alive. If you feel a cool one, post a candling picture of it.
Doing another now. Two down so far that was dead.

Attachments

• 15815358593625383721989954824659.jpg
    15815358593625383721989954824659.jpg
    625 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom