Intervention: Helping Your Chicks Hatch

Pics
You are very correct. Humans have removed the natural process and tried creating an artificial one. As we know, humans aren't always good at trying to do things ourselves. I absolutely agree that the backyard farmer/home incubator has to help more often than not which is exactly why I felt the need to create this thread. Some also believe that if a chick can't pip and zip on it's own that is it either genetically deficient somehow or a weak chick that should not live...I say phooey on that. I have dozens that are alive, strong, and great breeders. Just putting in my two cents lol.
In agreement 100%. My "King" is testament to that! He is so active and hops on top of his Brinsea Ecoglow whenever I enter the room to get a better view of me, maybe :) I did start feeding him within 10 hours and a lot say to wait. He struggled so much that I think the extra calories were needed. I have 9 more eggs that are due out on Feb. 1st and I will be using your thread as a resource very soon...I am sure.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge, time and hands-on experiences with all of us. You've given us the the courage to intervene when we find ourselves with stuck chicks....priceless.

In agreement 100%. My "King" is testament to that! He is so active and hops on top of his Brinsea Ecoglow whenever I enter the room to get a better view of me, maybe :) I did start feeding him within 10 hours and a lot say to wait. He struggled so much that I think the extra calories were needed. I have 9 more eggs that are due out on Feb. 1st and I will be using your thread as a resource very soon...I am sure.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge, time and hands-on experiences with all of us. You've given us the the courage to intervene when we find ourselves with stuck chicks....priceless.

Honestly, I am simply so grateful and happy when I get to read that some chicks were saved using the information I put on here. It is easy to get puffed up and defensive about being plagiarized in other locations (I'm human lol), but bottom line is that I want to see backyard farmers succeed. I have a 15 year old son that learned from me and even puts me to shame on helping hatch them out. He is a go-getter and actually hatches them using a natural instinct and knows when to 'look past the blood' to get a chick's life saved.

Thank you so much for the compliment! It means a LOT knowing that there are people who are appreciative of the time I took/take to post on here to save little birds :)

I absolutely do check occasionally myself. It is common for a few to pip on the down side. Checking quickly, and turning them to their side, or or pip side up is best. Some chicks have more liquid in the membrane than others and they can possibly drown. Check occasionally if the others have pipped already and time has passed.
smile.png

Thank you! ^_^ I only have 3 eggs and it is possible 2 of them died at day 18 (odd candling... all the darkness which had previously taken the majority of the egg had collected at the small end and the egg was only around 50% dark, the rest was see-through.) but the last one still looked just like a textbook picture. Thanks again, you have been super helpful!

I had some pip last night and today with no progress. Yep, low winter humidity created a bone dry outer membrane and a dry, tight inner membrane. 3 got helped completely out because they couldn't turn in their membranes. I have more pipping, and will most likely be assisting those also. My humidity reads correct in the incubator for hatching, but for some reason the cooler drier conditions externally affect the eggs anyway. I am sure I am not the only person getting a jump on "Spring" incubation, just keep in mind it will be harder for your hatch if you are experiencing any type of winter, dry climate.

Three happy cheeping chicks and a few more to go...
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I hhave 5 day old chicks because of this thread. Thank you so much. :) humidity must not have been high enough and all were shrink wrapped. Winter.

Hi, I have just helped a duckling as it had made no progress after initial pipping for 24 hours and it is out and cheeping around which is lovely :D
I have another though that I've tried to help but membrane keeps bleeding. Should I try again to chip off just the shell as there is about 11/2 inch hole I've made and can see beak and feathers, it looks knackered though :( . What shall I do please thank you :)

X2. So happy I found this thread. My nine peeps were a week old Friday/Saturday. Had I not found this thread, I would have had only 8. Once we (My husband did the honors while I assisted) got the chick out, I went to the tenth egg which had pipped on the bottom, but by then it was quiet. Unfortunetly it was too late to save him. The one we saved was peeping throughout the procedure.
This was my first incubator hatch. As a child we had hens hatch their own and sometimes when she and the chicks left the nest we would find one or two eggs pipped but not hatched. I always thought the hen had gotten off the nest too soon, and what a shame. Now I'm thinking there was a problem with the egg and it didn't hatch and once all the viable ones were out, the hen would take her peeps and move.
So much to learn!

Hi, I have just helped a duckling as it had made no progress after initial pipping for 24 hours and it is out and cheeping around which is lovely :D
I have another though that I've tried to help but membrane keeps bleeding. Should I try again to chip off just the shell as there is about 11/2 inch hole I've made and can see beak and feathers, it looks knackered though :( . What shall I do please thank you :)

Hi,

I just saw your post, and I hope by now it's out. Taking your time with a bleeder is the best way to go. As long as they can breathe and are not drowning in liquid or being squeezed tight by a too dry inner membrane, they can stay in the shell. Give us an update, hoping you have some good news!

Hi, I didn't see your post until now thank you. I wasnt sure what to do so called a friend of mine with years of experience with rearing chicks and pheasants who said to keep helping it so I did. I,m not sure I did the right thing though as there was blood but he said it would die in the shell anyway otherwise.

That was about 9 hours ago and it's about half three in the morning. I woke up worried and went to see if it was alive, it is but still not lifting it's head or walking and now the healthy one seems to be pecking it and hurting it...I have a feeling I should have left it alone....:(
Should I put the healthy duckling in the brooder although it's not hatched 12 hours yet??

Thanks again :)

Hi, I didn't see your post until now thank you. I wasnt sure what to do so called a friend of mine with years of experience with rearing chicks and pheasants who said to keep helping it so I did. I,m not sure I did the right thing though as there was blood but he said it would die in the shell anyway otherwise.

That was about 9 hours ago and it's about half three in the morning. I woke up worried and went to see if it was alive, it is but still not lifting it's head or walking and now the healthy one seems to be pecking it and hurting it...I have a feeling I should have left it alone....:(
Should I put the healthy duckling in the brooder although it's not hatched 12 hours yet??

Thanks again :)

Hi again, well I wouldn't worry too much yet if the duckling is still alive. It's had a rough journey and some blood loss and will need much more recovery rest-kind of like a Preemie baby. I would keep the active one separate from the weeker one. The newest one should be fine for several hours more alone. If it is alive in the morning it should make it but will take a little longer to gain strength.
Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom