Intervention: Helping Your Chicks Hatch

Pics
Quote:
NICE JOB!!!!! Feels good doesn't it???
hugs.gif

Thank you so much for this information! I just had my first hatch 10 days ago, and the last two chicks just could not get out of their shells, even though they had pipped all the way around. I finally pulled the shell apart just enough for them to get out. The last one was the biggest chick, and some of the membrane was dried on it's back like super glue. I tried to sponge it off, and finally after a week, she has new feathers or either the "glue" is finally gone. Even though she (i hope it's a she) was the largest, she is not the runt and very spoiled. She watches TV with me every night, nestled under my chin, and even tries to get under my cat like she would her Mama's feathers. I was so amazed watching these little guys come into the world. Thank you again for the lesson!

i started it at 7:00 it been a 1h 28m they are starting to push out and its on the wrong side of the egg

There some cases where they pip on the wrong side. I had to help the eggs for mine and I got 11 out of 15 babies. 1 died during the night and 2 died 2 days before hatch. But the others are still happy and healthy
smile.png

I have read every single post on this thread - thanks to all who posted great information
big_smile.png

Okay, I used this method yesterday to hatch two chicks. One didn't make it, but one did
smile.png

Now, today I am having to hatch two more
he.gif
Anyway, thanks for the great info, I definitely needed it
big_smile.png

I wish I had found this post a long time ago! The first time I hand-hatched an egg I was terrified! Everyone has always told me that if they can't hatch on their own, then they will not survive. I've had several successful hand-hatches now. I'm glad to see positive information!

My own personal rule is to wait 12 hours after pipping. If there's been no progress, then I help.

My first post and it's going to be a sad one.

I've just started incubating eggs in the last month. The first chick took 14hours from the first show of pipping through the egg, to being totally out. I thought this was a long time, but it was my first and didn't know. The second didn't take as long, but didn't start hatching out till the next day. At that time, we could still hear tapping from the other two eggs. We didn't see any pip hole, cracks, but didn't know what to do to help. The tapping got weaker and weaker till we heard nothing. Two days after the second chick hatched, we gave up. My mother and I decided to open them, to see if we could tell what happened. They both looked fully formed, but the shell was very hard and the membrane tough.
sad.png
I didn't know I could help. I thought it was something you should not ever do.

After reading the information in this forum, I will not let it wait so long again. My next batch is due to hatch Saturday, March 8th.

Thank you for being here with this helpful information. I wish I'd found this out three days ago. I've added this site to my favorite and will be reading everything while I sit up and worry about my next babies.

Quote:
its so sad to remember back and realize they were calling for help and I didnt come to the rescue.. i dont do that anymore.. i err on the side if helping too much. its not like they were naturally hatching..its artificial and too many things can go wrong.. like the humidity being too hi or too low can effect the m embrane the shell can be too hard.. the chick too weak.. from artifical means.. and it needs help.. i will never listen to one yell for me again and not come to help.. too early is better than too late.
as my quote says.. better to be sorry for doing something than for sitting there and doing nothing... done that too many times.. good lluck.

Back
Top Bottom