Introducing a young rooster to a flock of all hens

PruittFarm

Chirping
Mar 10, 2017
Burgaw N.C
So I have looked for an answer to this but have'nt found one yet. I currently have a flock of 7 hens with no rooster...The roo i had became very aggressive towards children myself and my husband to the point he would draw blood even when trying to feed them... needless to say he ended going in the pot. Its been about a week but now i am getting a Ayam Cemani rooster who is younger then my hens. He is 6 months old and my 6 hens are 2months-2.5years... no I have only had and all hen flock for a week my Alpha hen has taken charge.. she tried to take charge of the rooster when he was in there but gave up and just ignored him..will it be ok to introduce the new rooster? Or will there be problems?

I will be keeping him in isolation for about 7 days. I know the lady who I'm getting him from and she's the woman that I've gotten my most healthy well looked after hens from. I will almost always go to her!(one time i didnt and the one i got had very bad legmites and lice! My poor girl is almost fully recoverd in a iso pin and run on othersiad of yard still... i cant wait till she can go in the big run)

But yes, can i put him in there with minimal to no problems?

Depends on all the birds involved......it may be just fine, he may get his butt kicked.
Can depend on space available...be observant and adjust environment accordingly.

Merle and aart give sound advice. A brief period in an enclosure while the hens get to know the young guy will give them all a chance to safely get used to one another. It only needs to be long enough where you see the hens quit trying to take pieces off his hide through the barrier. After the hens settle down and start ignoring him, then you can try letting him mingle with them for gradually longer periods over several days.

When you see the hens quit chasing and pecking him, then he's ready for life in the flock full time. I would let him roost with the hens at night, however, after the first night. This will actually expedite the process.

welcome-byc.gif

My little cockerels have it hard, I guess. I just toss them in and let the hens teach them manners
wink.png

But, if there's enough space, it's not a big deal. He screams like a little girl and runs away, the hens lose interest. After a while and he gets brave enough to try mating, they kick his butt again. And maybe again, depending. Then he smartens up and tries calling them for treats....sometimes that works and he gets to mate. Usually takes a while longer, especially with hens that are used to being courted by a mature gentleman.

So I followed the advice and put him inside a dog kennel and the LeBron with them and he got his head stuck in and my grumpy old pain-in-the-butt Barred Rock started jumping and kicking at him through the cage picking on him and he started to defend himself and she mabe him bleed and he got a small pek on her foot! I have now moved his kennel to the outside of the run with about a three inch gap between each. However they started going at it again through that and she was able to make him bleed again.. so now I have put a thin piece of wood at the bottom half of the pins between each other so that they can only see each other's faces from the neck up he likes to perch on top of his little box that I put in there instead of The perch.. but he will sit up there and watch the girls until the Barred Rock comes and then they start fluffing up at each other...

Back
Top Bottom