Introducing chicks outside?

Daisyb

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2020
My chicks are about 10 weeks old. It’s going to be about 50 degrees today, can open the chicken door so they can start going outside the coop? Or is it too cold?

So they have never been outside. I live in Michigan and the temps during the day have only been in the mid 40s for about a week. Today is supposed to be warmer. It won’t be to cold.

I was just wondering, because everything I have read says it has to 65 degrees or warmer. Thanks so much for the info.

I was just wondering, because everything I have read says it has to 65 degrees or warmer. Thanks so much for the info.
I raised my chicks outside in the built in brooder in my coop. This picture was taken on a morning it was 23F.
IMG_20190430_150952126.jpg

My chicks are about 10 weeks old. It’s going to be about 50 degrees today, can open the chicken door so they can start going outside the coop? Or is it too cold?
Do you have a run?
Is it protected from the wind?
Pics would help here.
It's like 60 here, but the wind is pretty chilly.
They may not know how to go back up into the coop so keep an eye on them.

So they have never been outside. I live in Michigan and the temps during the day have only been in the mid 40s for about a week.

My last batch of chicks were raised outdoors from 2 days old, around 60s days/40s nights. They were fully off heat at 4 weeks. Yours are well old enough to get run access at this point.

I just put my 6 chicks, 7 weeks old out in the "big girl" run. I built them a 2x3' coop with roosting bar. I hung their water in it and also have their feed. I fenced off about 8' for them and to get used to the 3 adult Marans. So far, I haven't heard any hollering from any of them.
They did try to sleep out in the run last night but I went out and put them up in the coop. They seem very happy. It'll get down to the low 40's today and they'll be fine.
Good luck with moving yours outside.

Back
Top Bottom