Introducing new chickens to an existing flock

SJEP

Songster
6 Years
Mar 18, 2017
Hi Folks! I hope Im posting this in the correct location,,, I havent been here in about 3 years due to illness, so its like being a newbie again. Anyway, I have a coop of 6 assorted hens, various ages. Im trying to integrate 2 new barred rock pullets. I had them in a pen in the run with the others for several days, the older hens all paid no attention to the new ones so after about 4 days I let the new ones in with the orignals. Ok, all got along fine for the first day. I thought, wow, this was easy, even though I expected some pecking order problems. The next day they all decided to gang up on the new pullets. So now what do I do? Should I start over and put the pullets back in the pen for several more days? or just carry on as I have been? BTW, the method of putting new hens on the roosts at night has never worked for me in the past,, Ive always had major bloody messes the next morning trying that method. Thank you all in advance, any advice with this situation appreciated!

Attachments

• 2021-02-18_18-21-39.jpg
    2021-02-18_18-21-39.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 177
How old are these pullets? Has any blood been shed, or just chasing and a bit of pecking? How many feeders and waterers do you have? Welcome back to BYC!
Thank you! Great to be Back! The pullets are about 6 months old now and are actually a bit bigger than all or most of my original girls. I had them in a look dont touch cage about 6 days. No blood shed. First day went quite well, second day I realized there would be some pecking order establishment, and it was only just a couple being bossy,, third day, they all started to gang up on the new ones. I have three feeders and two drinkers in the run. I made sure the new pullets got to eat and drink at least 3 times a day. Finally I had enough and put the pullets back in the look dont touch pen last night. If it was just one or two being bossy, Id remove them and try to reset the pecking hierarchy but when its the entire flock now going after them, thats something I cant do, I only have 2 coops with runs. So thats why I put them back in the look dont touch pen.
Im willing to try any ideas anyone has.

Thank you! Great to be Back! The pullets are about 6 months old now and are actually a bit bigger than all or most of my original girls. I had them in a look dont touch cage about 6 days. No blood shed. First day went quite well, second day I realized there would be some pecking order establishment, and it was only just a couple being bossy,, third day, they all started to gang up on the new ones. I have three feeders and two drinkers in the run. I made sure the new pullets got to eat and drink at least 3 times a day. Finally I had enough and put the pullets back in the look dont touch pen last night. If it was just one or two being bossy, Id remove them and try to reset the pecking hierarchy but when its the entire flock now going after them, thats something I cant do, I only have 2 coops with runs. So thats why I put them back in the look dont touch pen.

If they were able to eat and drink and no one was drawing any blood then they'll probably work it out.

I just acquired 2-14 week old pullets and 1-14 week old cockerel, I set up a seperate area for them in the run and already had a built-in brooder in the coop. They were delivered at 8am and went straight in the separate run area. I watched and only the lowest in the pecking order paid any attention to them, and after talking to the person I got them from (who suggested I just let them out and see what happened) I released them 5 hrs after I got them. There was some chasing and pecking and everyone wanted to get a look at these new folks, but no blood shed so I left it be. That night I put them in the coop and they went to bed. The next morning was the same as the day before but less intense and they put themselves to bed. By the fifth day everything was as if they were there the whole time and are now at the bottom of the pecking order, but everyone co-mingles and resects everyone else's space. This Sunday will be 3 weeks. I agree with @3KillerBs if there's no blood shed let it play out, supervised of course.

I just acquired 2-14 week old pullets and 1-14 week old cockerel, I set up a seperate area for them in the run and already had a built-in brooder in the coop. They were delivered at 8am and went straight in the separate run area. I watched and only the lowest in the pecking order paid any attention to them, and after talking to the person I got them from (who suggested I just let them out and see what happened) I released them 5 hrs after I got them. There was some chasing and pecking and everyone wanted to get a look at these new folks, but no blood shed so I left it be. That night I put them in the coop and they went to bed. The next morning was the same as the day before but less intense and they put themselves to bed. By the fifth day everything was as if they were there the whole time and are now at the bottom of the pecking order, but everyone co-mingles and resects everyone else's space. This Sunday will be 3 weeks. I agree with @3KillerBs if there's no blood shed let it play out, supervised of course.
I suppose but I cant keep an eye on them all day long and its 6 other hens that are / were now going after them. I really dont want things to get to the point of having to fix a bloody mess. Plus, this is a first for me,,, ususally once they get to the point of not paying any attention to the ones in the look dont touch pen, the problem is solved,, i cant understand why they got along good for a day then all of a sudden all 6 decided they didnt like the new pullets.

I suppose but I cant keep an eye on them all day long and its 6 other hens that are / were now going after them. I really dont want things to get to the point of having to fix a bloody mess. Plus, this is a first for me,,, ususally once they get to the point of not paying any attention to the ones in the look dont touch pen, the problem is solved,, i cant understand why they got along good for a day then all of a sudden all 6 decided they didnt like the new pullets.
I completely understand, I watched mine for 1 day then had to go back to work, but didn't see any behavior that made me uneasy leaving them out with the others. I introduced my 3 new ones to 4 hens and 2 7 month old pullets, so I understand the ratio. If you're that uncomfortable with it keep them separated for a while longer, then give it another try.

Try putting the existing birds in the pen and let the new ones have the main coop and run.
Swap them back and forth.

How big is the coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics might help here.
Hi aart! the run is about 8'x16' with the coop being suspended and its about 6' by 4' I recently discovered that the instigator was my RIR. So I locked her up in a cage that the new girls were in, and now the 2 newbies are starting to settle down, the others are being very nice with them. I think Im going to go one extra step and put the RIR in my isolation coop for about 3 days so as to reset the pecking order because when I let her out it all starts all over again. I cant keep doing this!

Back
Top Bottom