Introducing new chickens

peacockgurl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 6, 2009
Silver Springs, Nevada
I have two polish hens, they are probably 1 - 2 years old and we have had them since January. We are getting some younger ones from a neighbor today, including some day old chicks and some older (couple weeks maybe) ones. I am planning on keeping the chicks inside for a while, but how should I introduce the older ones to my polish hens? Can they just go straight into the coop or do I have to introduce them slowly?

Well I'm not quite sure because I am not sure how old my polish hens are, I got them when they were full grown. I think my Polish are 1 -2 years old and the new ones are a couple of weeks maybe a month old.

Ooh! Thats tough. You might need to let them grow a little away from the older ones, because I believe I read somewhere that blending chicks with chicks is only a good idea when they are 3 weeks or less apart. If you wait another month or so and let the new ones grow they will be able to handle themselves with the big ones. Just my two cents on it, but I have never had to do this so, maybe somebody else will have some true experience. Hope this helped.

vortec

I will maybe test it out first, put them in there and see how the polish hens act. if they seem overtly interested in each other I will probably pull them out but if the polish just ignore the new ones maybe I can keep them in for a while and go from there.

That sounds like a good strategy. You can tell how it is going just by observing from a distance. If they lay off, it just might work. But if the hens try to dominate the younger ones then you might have problems. At least the oldest ones are hens and not roos. Good luck!

vortec

Back
Top Bottom