Introducing new dog to current dog question!

I would also look around your home/yard for anything that may be a trigger to guarding/defense mode. Initially eliminate things like food, water, treats, toys, etc. I've also found dogs to be protective of their bed/crate etc. These things may be able to be added back in safely later.

I also agree with the comment that it can be difficult and trigger aggression if one dog is leashed and one is not. The leashed dog suddenly has a very small territory, is forced in a position between you (the loved and protected owner) and the unleashed dog, and if fearful or feeling threatened this can be heightened because they feel they cannot get away to safety.

If there is a way to make introductions without you in the middle this may help too. A dog that is highly bonded to a person is not always willing to accept a new dog near that person initially.

You've gotten great advice above. I have a slightly different point of view.

When you head of to college, will your parents be able to care for Kimper? I don't think you need to worry about her being lonely and needing a dog companion. She's moving in to her senior years, and is bonded to you, and hopefully your family as well.

Here's my story for comparison. about 13 years ago, I got a pyr/swiss mtn dog mix as a pup. She bonded to me, was trained in mountain search (I did some Search and rescue work) and he was my constant companion - even came to work with me (we had a doggie day care) About 8 years ago, I got cancer. My days of mountain hiking were over, and I spent a lot of time in bed, recovering from surgeries, etc.
So I thought I'd get him a companion. I went to the same breeder, and got my dog a little brother from the same parents.
They got along fine - but they never became friends. No fights, no major issues, but they never played tiogether. We knew that the older dog would have preferred to have been an only dog,And watch over me as I recovered, and really didn't need a companion.

So - my take on your situation - is to really consider whether Kimper needs a companion. She's moving into more senior years, and may just prefer to take it easy - and not have to deal with another pup.

Ultimately - you can make it work either way - but re-evaluate your motivation for the second pup.

Good luck!

I would also look around your home/yard for anything that may be a trigger to guarding/defense mode. Initially eliminate things like food, water, treats, toys, etc. I've also found dogs to be protective of their bed/crate etc. These things may be able to be added back in safely later.

I also agree with the comment that it can be difficult and trigger aggression if one dog is leashed and one is not. The leashed dog suddenly has a very small territory, is forced in a position between you (the loved and protected owner) and the unleashed dog, and if fearful or feeling threatened this can be heightened because they feel they cannot get away to safety.

If there is a way to make introductions without you in the middle this may help too. A dog that is highly bonded to a person is not always willing to accept a new dog near that person initially.
I actually did remove all toys, food, and beds before their meeting in the yard! And I think that it definitely helped as they moved around together - but yes, I think the leash was the thing that set them off. A bad mistake on my part. I haven’t unleashed just one of them again! Lol! It also didn’t help that Kimper is very attached to me. I wish there was a way to introduce without me, but unfortunately I can’t make that happen. I have been trying to stay out from in between them though!
You've gotten great advice above. I have a slightly different point of view.

When you head of to college, will your parents be able to care for Kimper? I don't think you need to worry about her being lonely and needing a dog companion. She's moving in to her senior years, and is bonded to you, and hopefully your family as well.

Here's my story for comparison. about 13 years ago, I got a pyr/swiss mtn dog mix as a pup. She bonded to me, was trained in mountain search (I did some Search and rescue work) and he was my constant companion - even came to work with me (we had a doggie day care) About 8 years ago, I got cancer. My days of mountain hiking were over, and I spent a lot of time in bed, recovering from surgeries, etc.
So I thought I'd get him a companion. I went to the same breeder, and got my dog a little brother from the same parents.
They got along fine - but they never became friends. No fights, no major issues, but they never played tiogether. We knew that the older dog would have preferred to have been an only dog,And watch over me as I recovered, and really didn't need a companion.

So - my take on your situation - is to really consider whether Kimper needs a companion. She's moving into more senior years, and may just prefer to take it easy - and not have to deal with another pup.

Ultimately - you can make it work either way - but re-evaluate your motivation for the second pup.

Good luck!
I like your insight on this. Thank you! :)

To answer your first question, yes, my parents will be able to care for Kimper when I leave. I also have a younger sibling that will help out as well! I will only be about 2 1/2 - 3 hours away so, luckily, I’ll be able to visit too. She’s a very loved family dog so there’s never been question about keeping her.

The only reason I got worried about her being lonely, was because she just seemed so bored once the chickens were out of the picture. I do think I made the decision to get the lab a little too fast. I just wanted what was best for Kimper and didn’t think too deeply into it. I have discussed re-homing the lab because ultimately, Kimper is my main priority and I want what is best for her.

I’m not seeing much progress with the girls. I’ve also noticed that Ever is getting antsy since she’s not allowed full range of the yard at all times. I’m not sure what to do at the moment. I’d like for them to be friends but if it’s best for Kimper to be alone.. that’ll be okay too.

Somehow I missed that both dogs were female. I am no expert but have always been told that having two females are the toughest to integrate.

I missed that too... I currently have 3 dogs and all the advice I got was it would be best to have 2 males, 1 female, but... my male had other plans. He clearly prefers the ladies (and yes they're all fixed). The female that was here first seems to not have a preference, so we ended up with 2 girls, 1 boy.

I missed that too... I currently have 3 dogs and all the advice I got was it would be best to have 2 males, 1 female, but... my male had other plans. He clearly prefers the ladies (and yes they're all fixed). The female that was here first seems to not have a preference, so we ended up with 2 girls, 1 boy.

That’s probably my fault, I don’t think I stated very clearly that they were both females. My bad!

Back
Top Bottom