Introducing new pullets

carol ann

Chirping
13 Years
May 5, 2010
I’m trying to add some new pullets. I currently have 7 layers and a very dominant rooster. My hatched chicks are about 12 weeks old and are living on the other side of the coop fence so they’ve been next to each other through the fence for about a month. Would it be better to remove my rooster for a week while I introduce the 5 new pullets to the old gens or leave them all together?

I would leave them together. Sometimes roosters will look after young ones. If he's a problem than remove him.

I would do supervised mingling for a while until you feel comfortable leaving everyone together. It will help to have places the chicks can get away. Things to go under or behind.

I would leave them together. Sometimes roosters will look after young ones. If he's a problem than remove him.

I would do supervised mingling for a while until you feel comfortable leaving everyone together. It will help to have places the chicks can get away. Things to go under or behind.
Thanks. They’re 12 weeks old now and if I put them in with the older hens and roosters they have a 24’x30’ pasture with tall grass to hide in.

Back
Top Bottom