introduducing new chicks to exsisting flock

JohnSteader

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 29, 2018
I am having issues introducing 2 new baby chicks (roughly 8 weeks) to a flock of hens (roughly 10 weeks older) The older chickens wont stop chasing and pecking the younger chickens. They have been in the same pen with the older chickens for almost 2 weeks now (being separated during the day) but not at night. The older chickens do not bother them at night, only during the day. My wife is afraid to let them try and make it through the day because she cant stand to watch after 15 minutes and is worried to leave them and come out to either 2 mutilated or dead chicks. Is this normal, a problem? Or should I just send the chicks off to another home?

Is there blood being shed? Is there enough space?
If you have multiple feeding and watering stations and edaupate space and places for them to up and get away I wouldn’t worry.If you want,wait three or four more weeks.This what chickens do to sort the pecking order out,if you ever wish tthey introduce older birds,you are gonna have to deals nd watch with fighting,that’s just they do.

There is 11 older chicks and 2 younger chicks in a 12 foot by 12 foot yard. There has yet to be blood but that maybe because we have yet to allow them together for more than 15 minutes at a time. I'm worried that if they don't make it soon, they wont. They get along beautifully at night. No chasing or pecking at all.

and as I just found out its only 1 baby chick they harass. could it be that its the only one that flails around like someone cut its head off?

Welcome to BYC, sorry you are having difficulties.

I am having issues introducing 2 new baby chicks (roughly 8 weeks) to a flock of hens (roughly 10 weeks older)
18 week olds are still pullets (not hens until 1 year old)...but I digress.

They get along beautifully at night. No chasing or pecking at all.
When does 'night' start?
Are the younger birds roosting in the coop with the olders at dusk....or do you put the youngers in the coop after dark, when the olders are sleeping?

Are they totally separate during the day and not able to see each other?
Knowing more about your coop and run,
dimensions and pics are a huge help here,
might allow us to give more specific advice.

Meanwhile.....

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

weve tried completely seen and able to get face to face and weve tried keeping them in the hen house with food and water. last night for an hour I introduced them (again) for an hour. they chased them around for about 45 minutes but left them alone for the remaining 15. dark is basically about 20 minutes after dusk right before it gets dark. ive had chickens my entire life and have never seen anything like this. maybe because the babies are from another flock and breed? the babies are Easter chickens and the rest are typical breed bernies, silkies, the yard is 12 foot by 12 foot there is 11 birds about 16 weeks and 2 babies at 8 weeks. ive been trying to introduce for 2 weeks

How big is your hen house(coop)?

Could be their ages....the 18 week olds are not yet adults and can be even more territorial.
Are the 18wo's laying yet?

the rest are typical breed bernies, silkies

Out of curiosity what are Bernies? I'm not familiar with that term.

Aart's write-up is fairly good but one thing not mentioned is that more mature birds outrank immature birds and are sometimes not shy about enforcing those pecking order rights. But when you say "and as I just found out its only 1 baby chick they harass. could it be that its the only one that flails around like someone cut its head off?" I don't think that is what is going on, or at least not most of it.

Is it just one of the older ones doing this or is it most of them? Sometimes one bird just takes an immense dislike toward another and is not happy until it kills it. Sometimes a flock rejects a bird that they consider "not right". They instinctively do not want that bird adding it's genetics to the gene pool, may be concerned that it is introducing a disease, or its behavior or maybe injury might attract predators. They do not understand why they reject it, they instinctively do. Sometimes if one bird attacks the others join in, sort of like a mob.

If is is just one older bird instigating the aggression I'd isolate that bird well away from the flock for at least a week and try to integrate the younger ones. See what happens. It is possible that older bird will change its behaviors when you put it back.

That space is not great as far as integration goes though it is a lot better than many have. Once integration is over it should work great. Integration is not about square feet per chicken but has more to do with quality of the space. Can a chicken get away from and avoid another when they need to?

From what you say you are doing everything right and that other chick seems to not be having problems. I'm not sure this is an integration issue but is more of a personality conflict. My first step would be to isolate the instigator if you can identify one, modify her behavior. Or keep the chicks isolated a while longer to see if that chick grows out of that behavior if the flock is after it. Or get rid if the chicks and try others. As harsh as this sounds, it is possible there is something wrong with that chick and you don't want it in your flock. Your flock may be right.

Thank you for mentioning it is just one chick and that chick has behavior issues. Until then I was thinking it was a pure integration issue. But that's why it is hard to analyze these things over the internet, you usually don't have all the information. You never know what will be important.

Good luck!

Aart's write-up is fairly good but one thing not mentioned is that more mature birds outrank immature birds and are sometimes not shy about enforcing those pecking order rights.
Yep, that's why it says 'basics' ;)
It doesn't go into the plethora of age aspects that could be present.

How big is your hen house(coop)?

Could be their ages....the 18 week olds are not yet adults and can be even more territorial.
Are the 18wo's laying yet?
no, they are not laying yet. theyre only 8 weeks older than the 2 babies introduced

Back
Top Bottom