Investing More In American Dominiques

Pics

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
We have been working up to this for some time. Plant community has been managed to provide better free-range habitat, a range of tools are in place for predator management, and now it is time for an actual barn. Currently all birds are in pens in field year round. Within 3 weeks I should have a barn capable of housing three flocks of American Dominiques, each with 25 hens. Photographs to made shortly will show current mess and progression to having a barn. At this point birds are difficult to see from house. Soon they will be visible directly and by using webcams. A lot of work ahead but will be fun. Even picked out a farm name for registration with county.

Following images are reference points to be used as construction progresses.

Views from following locations
1) Front porch of house.

2) Beginning new drive

3) Just before the fenn.

4) Current gate to winter cockyard

5) Going upgrade to bend

6) The bend

7) Location of barn from path

8) Location of barn from about 30 feet of front barn opening

9) House from front door of barn

I am in a race for time with first cohort of doms hatched this year. Of the 23 surviving, all but eight are male. The three best males of the 15 remaining will kept and the decision will be made in just under 30 days as by then type will be setting in. I will have capacity for about a dozen males in the bachelor pens which will also be holding the brood cocks in addition to cockerels from each of three cohorts. All pullets of cohort will be kept for eggs but only a couple will be considered for breeding. It is the pullets that will demand so much space. At this rate is will taken second season of hatching to get the desired 25 females per flock.

Here is a problem caused by preparations for barn. Cohort shown in pen is released after work for free-ranging every day.

No longer does vegetation and mowed paths worth to keep them from approaching house. Game hen did the job shortly after photograph taken. She will not do that on a sustained basis.

This going to have a lot of adventure. I will be able to walk on solid level ground. It will be possible to store all that feed within a 100 feet of where most is applied. Each feeding in the morning takes three trips of considerable walking. Dogs love that but my shoes do not. We will even begin putting serious thinking about the sheep and goats. Oh, and a nice dry place to store bee equipment that kids do not play hide and seek in! And my lawn tractor can have a home.

This going to have a lot of adventure. I will be able to walk on solid level ground. It will be possible to store all that feed within a 100 feet of where most is applied. Each feeding in the morning takes three trips of considerable walking. Dogs love that but my shoes do not. We will even begin putting serious thinking about the sheep and goats. Oh, and a nice dry place to store bee equipment that kids do not play hide and seek in! And my lawn tractor can have a home.
It will be WONDERFUL!

Some cool images taken while working on barn project.

Son and daughter messing on rock pile (2" gravel) to be used for culvert in fenn. Daughter looking at large female mantid.

Praying mantids (female Chinese and male Carolina) engaging in barnyard follies. Risk to benefit ratio not good for male as hybrids do not seem viable.

Two color morphs of female Chinese Mantids. Caroline Mantids have even more morphs.

Cockerel that likely will not get a shot as prestigious pen in the barn.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom