Iowa Blues Chicken Club (IBCC) - Breed Standard Discussion / Club Discussion

I did have several with the purple sheen, that was certainly connected to the autosomal red. Those same cockerels had the red shoulders.

I sure hope I don't have to throw away two years of breeding the Birchen type, my youngsters in the brooder now are showing some beautiful lacing already
big_smile.png
I remember my first couple of batches where the lacing didn't show up on the cockerels until they were 2 months old and the pullets were solid black until after the first molt.

I just set 20 more eggs this morning for a Valentine's day hatch. 5 SPR cross and 15 eggs out of my Birchen pen. Given the latest discussions I need to raise more penciled, so I'll switch roosters and put Rex in with the grey hens and the Rock in with the Birchen girls.

Dan, have you candled yet?
fl.gif

Pickeledchicken, where's your pictures?

Good Morning Everyone!

So, the last couple of days we've been active in trying to understand what an Iowa Blue really is from a color stand point. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on body type. I remember my old birds having a very different type in body than what I often see showing up.
From what I remember of the old birds, they were more of the rectangle shape like the rooster in the Story's Illustrated book. Not the most eye appealing to me, but curious as to your thoughts. I assume we all are striving for a nice dual purpose bird, so how do we want that to look?

Also, I remember a few of my young pullets having a dark comb/wattles until they reached their point of lay and then they were a bright red. Has anyone witnesses this in their flocks? Is this something of interest to our breeding goals? What genes would be active in that and is it anything we'd want to keep/produce?

Nice looking, healthy chicks! Congrats. I especially like the color of those brown chicks. You'll have to give us updates as they develop.

Thank You these are eggs I hatched from Kari. If my memory serves well I believe she had stated that those will be penciled and the blacks are of the birchen coloration. I have read so much on this thread lately and trying to take it all in has frazzled my noggin.

Nice job, Pickled! I'm hoping to get 7 or 8 out of the 18 eggs I had shipped from Kari. I candle tomorrow but I might do it tonight because I don't want to wait.

Back
Top Bottom