Which breed would you recommend

Fawnpuppet

Chirping
Nov 21, 2021
I know there are a lot of these threads and I'm sorry to add another one. But if you are here then that means you're interested, right? :oops:

Ok on to the topic. I'm looking to expand my flock in a couple months and am questioning what I should do. I currently have a small band of 4 (cochin bantam rooster, blue Australorp, black australorp, and lavender orpington.) I have 4 dark egg layers coming in spring that I'm planning to add to my current flock. But what I question is I have a dozen blue Australorps coming as well. I'm tempted to change them to dark brown Eggers (Barnevelder is looking likely), EE, another breed, or just ditching the idea of this second flock all together.

I ordered the blue Australorps because I like the breed. I think the blues are pretty and my black australorp is such a sweetheart. This second flock would be more focused on the livestock and self-sustaining aspect of chicken-keeping.

I'm worried about the plethora of eggs I'll get. I have a few ideas what to do with some extra but I worry it will be overwhelming. I also heard that the high production breeds have shorter lifespans and can suffer from reproductive issues. I don't want the chickens to suffer that way. So, I'm open to "lower" production breeds.

Regardless of what I do my goals are to have a fairly self-sustaining flock with good foragers. My bantam roo won't be able to reproduce with his full-sized lady companions so I would have to get another rooster from somewhere at the very least.

I suppose my questions are as follows:
Should I go with the second flock? If so, what breed(s)? Or should I just keep my little flock and add in a few more hens and rooster for self-sustaining purposes? Again, if so, what breeds?

Space is not an issue at all and I'm rural so roosters are ok. Predation is fairly low. My budget is healthy, but I don't want to spend more than necessary. The chickens walk a fine line between pets and livestock (the current flock is more of a pet situation but I want some as livestock so we can humanely grow and butcher them.) However, I am new to chicken-keeping so don't want to overwhelm myself. I can handle my flock quite easily so don't think adding on would be too much.

I’d get another flock coz chickens are great! Maybe EE or ameracaunas, I have americaunas and they are kind of low egg productions and they live 7-8 years with good care but mine lay 6 eggs a week sometimes, I also have delewares, they live for like 5-6 years and are super good egg layers.

Okay, I personally would have pheonixes as my self sustaining flock. Give them dark, hidden corners and they should start popping out babies like no tomorrow. I bring in girls to add genetic material, but they always produce more than I can keep each year. Also great foragers and their colors help blend in a bit with dried grass.

Plus the males are easy on the eyes

20211219_104221.jpg
20211003_102012.jpg
20210317_183246.jpg
20201103_183804.jpg
20200828_191510.jpg

Okay, I personally would have pheonixes as my self sustaining flock. Give them dark, hidden corners and they should start popping out babies like no tomorrow. I bring in girls to add genetic material, but they always produce more than I can keep each year. Also great foragers and their colors help blend in a bit with dried grass.

View attachment 2943047View attachment 2943048View attachment 2943049View attachment 2943050View attachment 2943051
I might get some of those now….

View attachment 2943047View attachment 2943048View attachment 2943049View attachment 2943050View attachment 2943051
Those are certainly very pretty! I'll definitely look into them. And good foragers, love land... they sound like a really good fit

I’d get another flock coz chickens are great! Maybe EE or ameracaunas, I have americaunas and they are kind of low egg productions and they live 7-8 years with good care but mine lay 6 eggs a week sometimes, I also have delewares, they live for like 5-6 years and are super good egg layers.
I've heard EE's have quite the personality. That's why I was considering them. That and who wouldn't like colorful eggs?

I have black and blue australorps too, & also really like their temperament, personality and beauty. As far as dark brown Eggers, you might consider Welsummers. Mine are very calm and friendly, & most go broody and are great mothers. Their eggs are dark brown with even darker speckles, & their lay rate is decent too. They are good foragers too, and their wild-type coloration gives them more camouflage from predators. I've seen many posts where others also say they really like their Welsummers.

As far as Easter Eggers, those are my top favorites due to their cute feathery cheeks and beards, and of course their pretty colored eggs. Some say their Easter Eggers don't lay well and don't go broody, but mine lay eggs 6-7 days per week during their first year, and are great moms too. Personality differs greatly among my Easter Eggers; some are aloof and flighty, while others are friendly and often underfoot.

In conclusion, same as you I really like my blue and black austrorps, but have enjoyed having and "trying out" many other breeds too. Like you, I am rural and space is not an issue. Your intuition may be telling you to cut back some on the 12 blue australorps order and mix in some other breeds you are interested in. Just beware of "chicken math". I had never heard of the term until I was in deep with over 100 hens of many breeds, many of whom went broody/hatched chicks and increased flock numbers even more. Chicken Math. Yes it's really a thing.😂

I have black and blue australorps too, & also really like their temperament, personality and beauty. As far as dark brown Eggers, you might consider Welsummers. Mine are very calm and friendly, & most go broody and are great mothers. Their eggs are dark brown with even darker speckles, & their lay rate is decent too. They are good foragers too, and their wild-type coloration gives them more camouflage from predators. I've seen many posts where others also say they really like their Welsummers.
I did seriously consider welsummers and hope to get one in my dark brown egger mix I have coming (barnevelder, cuckoo maran, and welsummer are the ones they are hatching this year) but I might just order some of them specifically.
Your intuition may be telling you to cut back some on the 12 blue australorps order and mix in some other breeds you are interested in.
Thank you for pointing that out. I couldn't quite put words to it, but that is exactly what I was thinking. Now just to figure out what breeds I want to add *mischievous grin*

I have cuckoo Marans too. I also like them a lot; they are much like the welsummers in temperament. My cuckoo Marans are Extremely broody. All 3 hens are now nearly 6 years old, & all 3 go broody/raise chicks multiple times each year. Their home-hatched daughters and grand-daughters are extremely broody too. I would say my Cuckoo Marans don't lay as well as the Welsummers, but thats impossible to know since they spend much of each laying season being broody and raising chicks. Also, their eggs aren't as dark brown as my welsummers or black copper Marans. But if you desire a large breed hen that can set, hatch and raise large chick clutches and then keep them all covered and warm, i recommend Cuckoo Marans as a great choice!

Back
Top Bottom