Iowa Blues Chicken Club (IBCC) - Breed Standard Discussion / Club Discussion

Congrats Connie and Kari on your NPIP certs! I called my state agency and have them sending info (they snail mail everything). So I'll have mine as soon as the state can find someone who has the time to do it...that's what they told me! Little do they know what a pain in the tush I can be. I believe they will find someone to do it very soon Ha!

Someone posted on the Australorp breeders thread about Agway, a feed mnfctr. that sells soy-free feeds. I googled it and saw this photo on the poultry products page. Look at the tail and the yellow legs. Look at the chicks. What is she? I don't know alot of the different breeds and patterns.

The chicks are baffling me. The black one has a white cap, one appears to have tawny yellow down, two appear to have lighter yellow down. Must be cross bred?

The chicks are baffling me.  The black one has a white cap, one appears to have tawny yellow down, two appear to have lighter yellow down.  Must be cross bred?

Were those eggs from me? I had a crazy pullet that found a way in the pen but didn't think I sent her eggs. Her eggs are white. If they're from me, I'm very sorry (and embarrassed).

I think he's talking about the chicks with that silver headed barred bluish hen from some website.

No Sir MrHeinz77, I don't have eggs from you. Connie is right, I am talking about the chicks in a photo I saw on another website. Sorry for the confusion.

Hello. I haven't been here for a good long time, since right after I joined almost a year ago. Anyway, a little sleuthing has made me sure that I have discovered one of the breeds used to "bring back" or re-create the IB. That would be the birchen Marans. There are so many traits in common: color, size, shape, light brown egg color, and the list goes on.

The birds I kept from my initial dozen are all birchens. They have the best blue sheen. Silly me, I figured that such a defining trait would be important to the breed. The chicks I bought a year ago also all looked like the pictures of birchen Marans. I have not found any reference to such a sheen on the birchen Marans.

This afternoon, I am driving down to Pennsylvania to have a live look at a flock of birchen Marans, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Cheers,

Thom

Welcome back Thom.

I am doubting that there were any Marans at all in Iowa at the time of the Iowa Blues first appearence. I could be wrong. Its something that should be able to be clearified I think.

I understand now that the Birchen is now an accepted color, but not #1, if I get any birchen pullets I will keep them to breed to a SP rooster.

The website has been updated with some good information on the acceptable colors.

I am looking forward to be hatching some eggs out in May.

Jake

BTW you live in a great area, way back when the world was young and I was in grad school I use to drive up to Cornell from Columbus, OH on one weekend a month to babysit at the Perigrine Project. Great place and a great area.

Welcome back Thom.

I am doubting that there were any Marans at all in Iowa at the time of the Iowa Blues first appearence. I could be wrong. Its something that should be able to be clearified I think.

I understand now that the Birchen is now an accepted color, but not #1, if I get any birchen pullets I will keep them to breed to a SP rooster.

The website has been updated with some good information on the acceptable colors.

I am looking forward to be hatching some eggs out in May.

Jake

BTW you live in a great area, way back when the world was young and I was in grad school I use to drive up to Cornell from Columbus, OH on one weekend a month to babysit at the Perigrine Project. Great place and a great area.

Back
Top Bottom