Iowans, what processors are still butchering chickens?

There A Chick

Chirping
15 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Kelley, IA
I want to try meat birds for the first time this year, I've already decided that I want to go to a processor for the butchering. I'm in central Iowa, Ames area, I was intending to get my birds butchered at Golly's in Maxwell but I just called there and they are no longer butchering chickens. Now, I've heard about a place in Waterloo, does anyone know how to hook me up with that place or some other place? Would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think there is a place in Grimes. I think it is a locker. I heard about it along time ago and don't know if they are still in business or not but you could look in the phone book and see if you could find a locker in Grimes.

These are from the yellow pages, none of them say Grimes, so they must all be DSM, but do any of these ring a bell:

Amend Packing Co.
Iowa Pacific Processors
Sunset Foods
Swan Packing
Vanderose Foods

If not, I can just start calling all of them.

I looked in the phone book and found one in Boone. It's called Ridgeport Locker. The address is 242 Nature Road. Boone Iowa. The phone number is 515-432-8973 It says they do butchering so they should be able to help you.
wink.png

So what kind of chickens are wanting to get to butcher? I will have some chicks this spring. They will be a cross with a buff orpington roo and black ostralorp hens. They should be a good hardy hybrid.

Quote:
Rats, I just called them and they don't butcher chickens.
hmm.png
I didn't think this was going to be so difficult to find.

I don't know yet what kind of meat birds I will get. I got my laying hens from Brekke's in Ames, they came from Hoovers Hatchery (link below), I will probably just order from them again.

http://hoovershatchery.com/html/broilers.html

I'd like get 25 but I really want to get a processor to do the butchering. Maybe that would be a good business for someone (not me) to start. What an opportunity.

I have 10 Black Ostralorp hen in with a Buff Orpington roo. I could incubate you some eggs. I would charge the going rate for chicks. Plus a little less. If you are interested. They would be a hybrid. Hardy plus good egg layers. I have three incubators that is just dieing to get used.
smile.png
I also have Black Bearded Silkies. Really nice. I could send pics. Plus I have Naked Neck Silkies. (Showgirls) Let me know if you are interested. You do know chickens can become addictive.
tongue.png

ok, I have a line on a processor who does chickens, in Ackley. Will call on Monday. There are several others in the area too. I found out at Brekke's in Ames, the local Purina feed mill. I will get the broilers from Hoover's, test drive this time around. And yes, I AM getting addicted already!!
smile.png
smile.png

Good I'm glad you found someone. Maybe someday you can butcher them yourself. It took me a few times to get it right. I have butchered on three different occasions with my Brother In law. He's a good teacher. It's not that hard.

Back
Top Bottom