Is 22 percent protein too much?

MommyGirl

Crowing
Jul 10, 2020
Georgia
Hello everyone! I usually feed flockraiser 20 percent to my flock but for the last 4 months at my tractor supply the flockraiser has been more than 6 months old so I started buying the nutrena meat bird food and it’s 22 percent protein. Is that ok atleast for awhile until they get some newer flockraiser?

I recall a member on here citing a study claiming the highest success rate of incubated eggs came from birds who were fed 22% protein feeds. It was a pretty interesting conversation, but of course I can't find it now. Anyway, mine have been on 22% chick feed all winter and they've not stopped laying since going on that feed. I use Modesto though not Nutrena.

In my experience either one is more protein than they need but it shouldn't hurt them. I've raised a mixed flock of chickens and guinea fowl and the guineas needed game bird starter which is 22 to 24% protein and I didn't notice that it created any problems for the chicks or in the birds when they were adults.

Normally I feed them 16% layer crumbles, plus whatever they get foraging while they free-range.

Back
Top Bottom