Is a few degrees below zero in the coop too cold?

Hi all, we have a cold spell in upstate NY and I'm just concerned about my 5 chickens. They have a raised coop that fits them comfortably, it has some thin insulation and has pine shavings for bedding. I have a little heat screen in there but you can only feel warmth off of it if you are literally standing right next to it. My chickens are EE, BO, and Isa Brown (my biggest concern because she is petite and not puffy like the BO's). The temperature in the coop reads 0 degrees but it may be lower due to my temp. Guage not reading below 0. It could be warmer in there if I didn't have to open the door to the run but that is where the food and water is.. Attached is a photo of the wind chill advisory for today. Their combs appear fine although the Isa has a couple very little black specks near the tips...any suggestions or even just reassurance would be appreciated! This is their third winter...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220115-100216_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220115-100216_Chrome.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 45
Do not think cold and warm, think DRY and WIND BLOCK. If you can, even a tote placed on its' side is a good wind block in the run. If a bird can get out of the wind, then the wind chill is not a concern.

If the temperature is above -35 degrees, most chickens will not even notice the temperatue.

Do keep the ventilation open, what causes frostbite, is dampness and cold temperatures. Keep your chickens dry, and out of the wind, and they will keep themselves warm.

Mrs K

Do not think cold and warm, think DRY and WIND BLOCK. If you can, even a tote placed on its' side is a good wind block in the run. If a bird can get out of the wind, then the wind chill is not a concern.

If the temperature is above -35 degrees, most chickens will not even notice the temperatue.

Do keep the ventilation open, what causes frostbite, is dampness and cold temperatures. Keep your chickens dry, and out of the wind, and they will keep themselves warm.

Mrs K
This was so reassuring to read, thanks so much. Coop itself is dry and its bone cold but no wind in there. Some sun is shining so some have chosen to perch in the run on a roost. Two birds have not come down to eat or drink yet (as far as I know) which worries me a bit. Those two are choosing to huddle near the heat screen in the coop. I hand fed them some food so atleast that is something...

I have had chickens for years, and I will tell you that is something I have noticed. A really big temperature drop, and mine will have a big reduction in food consumption for a day or two. Which used to worry me, but now I realize that is just a normal behavior. I have no explanation for it, (and really it does not make sense) but a poster on here, that I highly respect, reported the same thing. Mine have always been fine, start eating again like normal after a day or two, and I quit worrying about it.

Mostly, I try and give my birds options. Wind breaks are set up, I have some old shower doors set up in the run this time of year, I call a sun porch. Roosts, and platforms. And then I let my chickens make the choice. They know more about being a chicken than I do.

Mrs K

Mrs K
I have read that to be true and my ladies are definitely dry. But they are all fluffed up so they are feeling the cold!

Hi all, we have a cold spell in upstate NY and I'm just concerned about my 5 chickens. They have a raised coop that fits them comfortably, it has some thin insulation and has pine shavings for bedding. I have a little heat screen in there but you can only feel warmth off of it if you are literally standing right next to it. My chickens are EE, BO, and Isa Brown (my biggest concern because she is petite and not puffy like the BO's). The temperature in the coop reads 0 degrees but it may be lower due to my temp. Guage not reading below 0. It could be warmer in there if I didn't have to open the door to the run but that is where the food and water is.. Attached is a photo of the wind chill advisory for today. Their combs appear fine although the Isa has a couple very little black specks near the tips...any suggestions or even just reassurance would be appreciated! This is their third winter...
Central Maine here. -10 @ night. Wind 35. Can you share a photo of your coop. Placing cardboard over windows at night (using duct tape). Inside, at the base of each wall, I put hay. The run: block the windy side. Tarps or bales of straw.

Check coop for drafts. If light comes from seams Duct tape works. Also: insulate the floor more. I did this before our 1st below zero predictions: approx. 3 in. Pine shavings...some hay and another layer of shavings.

Back
Top Bottom