Is a German Shepherd a good dog to be around/protect chickens?

That's my experience. German Shepherds mostly just want to please their people. When we first started in this poultry game with 16 guinea keets, our two shepherds Doobie and Ruby were highly interested, of course, but my wife and i quickly let them know that the keets were not toys. We introduced them and almost immediately the shepherds began guarding. When Ruby, the younger of the two at one year, got a little too close to sniff, Doobie, a three-year-old, quickly let her know that they were off limits, and they were HIS responsibility. That night the dogs laid out by the coop, and since then they've enjoyed the Guineas, and other fowl acquired since, immensely. They sniff, but don't chase, and they protect. Coyotes are in the area, but they stay away. Also, shepherds are one of the few dogs that know to look up, watch the skies. The best even ponder the nature of the universe.
Shepherds are called "shepherds" for a reason. They do have a strong prey drive, absolutely, but their drive to "work" and please their owner is stronger. With 40 years of experience with these dogs, I've learned that though they respond well to training, extensive work to get them to act right isn't required, just a strong hand, repetition/consistency, reward, and love. Obviously all dogs are different, some respond to certain situations better than others and there's no accounting for damage done but stupid or cruel owners, but, in general, a well-adjusted German Shepherd tops all working breeds for intelligence, boldness, loyalty, humor (yes, humor), vigor, and dedication, and beyond that they're just good people.
So the answer to your question is "yes."

I had a hard time with German Shepherd puppies around 4mo - 1 year old.. They have strong desire to "play" with baby chicks, which doesn't work so well. After about a year (for me) I was able to train them to leave chicks alone and concentrate on predators and vermin.

My older male even responds to the chickens calls and will run over to find out what the alert was about. Good watch dogs for coyotes. My male will wait all night and morning for coyotes that frequent the fence line in the back of my yard.

I have a wonderful female German Shepherd that we picked up from GSD rescue. I have always loved GSDs and was so excited to finally have one even though she was a year old at the time. Just like any other living thing, you have to love them and work with them so that they get to know you and understand right from wrong. She was 8 years old when we got chickens. Behavior that I originally thought was her trying to hurt the chickens was actually her helping me by herding them for me! Very intelligent dog! She is AWESOME around the hens and very protective of them and my family. She keeps the hawks, raccoons, possums, rats etc. away from the chickens.

my friends raise german shepherds, they are great dogs, But... they have a very high prey drive. they train there dogs since pups not to kill chickens, rabbits, goats, geese ect... but they still kill them. a coulple weeks ago one of there do!gs killed 45 chickens in one setting! she got very punished and havnt touched them since, but every dog they have had has killed more than the animals I listed

My shepherd has always been great around our hens! He is alone with them all the time and has never hurt one. They sometimes snack together and some of the baby chicks even jump on his back while he's laying down.

I didn't get chickens until he was about 4 years old, so I'm not sure about puppies and the amount of training, my shepherd has always been mellow and gentle with smaller animals.

I do know that they can be great with hens though!

And German Shepherds really are the best breed!!

Dalendbocks.jpeg
Dalendbabies.jpeg

Attachments

• Dalendbocks2.jpeg
    Dalendbocks2.jpeg
    757 KB · Views: 3
I Love Them tooo!!! they are my favorite breed of Dog! one thing I didn't mention was that my friends have (barely and, but it is still there) Beilgan malanwa wich probably contributes to the prey drive

Back
Top Bottom