Is anyone else a compulsive Cookbook Collector?

Guilty. Used to collect all the vintage cookbooks given out by the different food companies such as Carnation, Borden, Kraft and so on. And also the ones given out by the manufacturers such as Fridgidaire, Amana, Coldspot and on and on. Not to mention all the church and school cookbooks. But unfortunately it is time to move on and they are all boxed up and ready to go in the garage sale on the 20th. There are hundreds of them.

I wouldnt say Im compulsive but I love to sit down and read a new cookbook. I love the old ones like one I picked up at a church yard sale last year, 1941 Grange cookbook for $2. Those are the best because everything is from scratch. I used to like looking at my great grandmothers depression / ration book recipe books. Now thats a good source for money stretching recipes. Now I belong to the book of the month club and really have to try to mix it up or I would have cookbooks every month.

My long lost sisters!! LOL
lol.png
I have a serious cookbook compulsion. Sometimes I spend $30+ on a cookbook just for one recipe that I never ever use again, but hey, it's there if i need it! We moved twice last year and that was the only thing that I was seriously worried about getting wet. I made sure they rode in the back seat of the truck; the camper or horse trailer wouldn't suffice. They take up 2 shelves that are about 4' long. And....i just keep buying them! I'd slap the patty of the person who tried to stop me too.

I love finding old cookbooks! Looking through one and finding a spot on the page that has plenty of fingerprints pointing to a certain recipe! I always try the one pointed out first!!
gig.gif

Quote:
I don't even want to think about what I have invested in cookbooks! But I try to get them as inexpensively as possible. When I go to Costco or BJ's, I always check for new cookbooks as they are very reasonable. We have one of those Tanger Outlets about 20 miles from here and there used to be a Reader's Digest store in there. Wow, did I get some deals! There were $30.00-$35.00 cookbooks for as little as $5.00! Every time I went out there, I would stock up. Unfortunately, the store is no longer there. When I saw that, I was so disappointed! Also, when I couldn't find what I was looking for in the stores, I have gone to amazon.com and found cookbooks at good prices. And at garage sales, I always look for cookbooks and I do find nice older ones for a dollar or two. I think this is an uncurable condition!

Quote:
You would love some of mine. They have margin notes such as 'good', 'great', 'excellent', 'ok'...even 'yuk!' LOL And lots of notations on ingredrients where I've made adjustments.

Some of them are also my Great Aunt's. She was the home-ec teacher at our small town high school for about 30 yrs. I have about 20 cookbooks from her original collection. Hers have lots of notes, underlines, substitutions, and even some hand written recipe cards she had added. I enjoy her cookbooks the most.

Last edited:
Quote:
I got about 15-20 of them.German and american. German written about american cuisine and the other way around , local specalties ,church,FRG and school cookboks, just name it.My next book will be a breadcookbook. My true addiction are small electric appliances.

I love cookbooks!
If I find any at a garage sale or an auction, I get them. My Mom will pick some up for me from time to time, too.
I have been trying to get my really old recipes written on index cards. I have tons that are written on old notebook paper and napkins and such.
I would love some "new" cookbooks, but I just can't make myself pay the higher price for them. I did tell DH that I found some I would like, but he says I don't need a recipe to cook.
I just look for the bargain ones and keep adding to my stash!

Jean

Back
Top Bottom