Is anyone locking down for Avian flu?

How's everyone getting on?

Well it's 25 miles from me now but to be honest am not worried. Am doing what I can and what will be will be.

Am disinfecting equipment, clothes and shoes etc. Clean waterers and feeders nightly virtually, bring them all into the kitchen and put out fresh in the morning, keep it as much as I can away from wild birds, remove poop daily.

I was a nervous wreck at the beginning- but I was like this anyway due to a bout of depression- but now I just think if we take as many precautions as we can, we'll be fine.

To be honest, I only kept my 6 totally locked in for a short while. The fattie batties were seriously bullying the miniature silkies and I rationalised that I had more chance of losing my babies via stress and violence than AF. I have built runs and covered as much of my garden as I could. My poly tunnel escaped and is now a tangled heap. But again, I tried. I have used tarps to create covered tunnels where feasible but they still have some free range access.

It seems primarily to be poultry farms that have been affected which leads me to think it is a glitch in their bio security or maybe they have been moving birds when it is restricted.

Not an expert but common sense tells me I am doing the right thing. I work full time and do not have an open pot of money to do what I really would like. Am £109 down after 'poly-tunnel gate' ha ha.

How are you getting on?

Hi
We have been on lockdown since December, I have bought ready made panels from eBay and they zip tie together and put a net over the top, it's given them a big area to walk around in, I started with a bark area, but have now taken this up and put washing up bowls out with soil, wood chip and one with play sand, which they love, they are so happy hoping in each bowl and having a rummage about and also rest on the sides of bowls too:) their favour is the wood chip and they almost queue to get in.
Tanya

Hi
We have been on lockdown since December, I have bought ready made panels from eBay and they zip tie together and put a net over the top, it's given them a big area to walk around in, I started with a bark area, but have now taken this up and put washing up bowls out with soil, wood chip and one with play sand, which they love, they are so happy hoping in each bowl and having a rummage about and also rest on the sides of bowls too:) their favour is the wood chip and they almost queue to get in.
Tanya

Hi sweetie

Would love to see pics of this please. Always open to new, fantastic ideas
yippiechickie.gif

Have had a poly tunnel disaster and spent a fortune.

Thanks x

Hi,
I will send pics tomorrow:) they are easy to move round garden too, although my girls love going under a conifer tree and I can't secure that area enough with these panels, but great otherwise.
Tanya

Hi Paulamc
This is a picture of my Avery panels being move to new spot of grass, I will send another pic once done, but given up today as I have a cold and it's turned - 4 today and we are just not used to it being so cold here. I have put my girls in their other temporary make **** enclosure whilst doing it which is net over my pergola.

Tanya1

Hi Paulamc
This is a picture of my Avery panels being move to new spot of grass, I will send another pic once done, but given up today as I have a cold and it's turned - 4 today and we are just not used to it being so cold here. I have put my girls in their other temporary make **** enclosure whilst doing it which is net over my pergola.

Tanya1

Aaawww thanks. Looks amazing..

Hope you feel better soon xx

Well it's 25 miles from me now but to be honest am not worried.  Am doing what I can and what will be will be.

Am disinfecting equipment, clothes and shoes etc.  Clean waterers and feeders nightly virtually, bring them all into the kitchen and put out fresh in the morning,  keep it as much as I can away from wild birds, remove poop daily.

I was a nervous wreck at the beginning- but I was like this anyway due to a bout of depression- but now I just think if we take as many precautions as we can, we'll be fine.

To be honest, I only kept my 6 totally locked in for a short while.  The fattie batties were seriously bullying the miniature silkies and I rationalised that I had more chance of losing my babies via stress and violence than AF.  I have built runs and covered as much of my garden as I could. My poly tunnel escaped and is now a tangled heap.  But again, I tried.  I have used tarps to create covered tunnels where feasible but they still have some free range access.

It seems primarily to be poultry farms that have been affected which leads me to think it is a glitch in their bio security or maybe they have been moving birds when it is restricted.

Not an expert but common sense tells me I am doing the right thing.  I work full time and do not have an open pot of money to do what I really would like.  Am £109 down after 'poly-tunnel gate' ha ha. 

How are you getting on?
Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been caught up in quite a lot lately.

It seems you have everything nicely together :) You're probably right not to worry, I think as long as we're really careful we'll avoid it.

I've built an extension of their run outside to give them a bit more space so they seem much happier now. I can't wait until the end of the month - fingers crossed they lift the lockdown and don't extend it again!!

Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been caught up in quite a lot lately.

It seems you have everything nicely together :) You're probably right not to worry, I think as long as we're really careful we'll avoid it.

I've built an extension of their run outside to give them a bit more space so they seem much happier now. I can't wait until the end of the month - fingers crossed they lift the lockdown and don't extend it again!!
No worries boo. We are all busy with life ha ha. Well done on building the extension.

Am itching to disassemble all the covered runs and have a top to bottom clean. **** the restrictions!!
he.gif

Have also been inspired by Tanya and have planned how I am going to redesign the garden during half-term. Am aiming to utilise some of my destroyed poly tunnel tubes as fence posts and mesh off one side of the garden to allow the other half to recover. Am going to construct raised beds and grow loads of vegetables to feed my lovely ladies and hopefully myself ha ha. Really wish I had an odd-job-man as not exactly an expert at building things, but will try tee hee.

Keep smiling sweetie x

Back
Top Bottom