Is anyone locking down for Avian flu?

I'm loving everyone's ideas... I'm in the high risk area
1f61f.png
. My girls would love a bit of grass action- tho I am interested - if you make a new run on your lawn using fencing / tarp etc, are you not running the risk of infecting them from faeces etc already on that patch of grass? Or am I over-worrying? Would love to get my girls out!

I am not an expert but as I have been letting mine out-although under tarp tunnels mostly-and am fastidious about cleaning poop up everyday and disinfecting equipment- I'd say go for it. I made the decision to let mine have a bit of freedom as the big hens were attacking the silkies so I reasoned that if I took as many precautions as I could ... According to DEFRA keeping food and water away from birds and rodents is the main issue.

As it turns out I may lose one anyway due to a tumour - am just keeping fingers crossed that the ultrasound scan tomorrow shows something less problematical.

You are very lucky to have grass ha ha. I have about 3 strands
lau.gif

Do what you think is best

Hi there,

I am not sure re running the risk moving to a new patch of grass, on the safe side I have cleaned my patio down and put the run on there instead, still not complete just been so under the weather, however it should be done this weekend.

we wanted to make it taller this time so have extended up too:)

How did you get on over the half term Paula? Have you any photos ?

Tanya

Hi there,

I am not sure re running the risk moving to a new patch of grass, on the safe side I have cleaned my patio down and put the run on there instead, still not complete just been so under the weather, however it should be done this weekend.

Tanya

I'm so jealous of your beautiful run! I'd really love a nice walk in run to keep my birds safe with the bird flu restrictions, but I invested quite a lot on electric fencing before they put the restrictions down (which are pretty impossible to cover up :()

Hi there,

Tanya

Hiya sweetie. Have been so ill with chest infection have not been able to do anything.

Also, Jackie, my standard silkie had to be taken to vet and is in my bedroom so that I can ensure she gets her antibiotics to cure her infection. Add to that my sister was taken to hospital but is OK thank goodness! It's been mental!

You're set up looks magnificent however! Can you nip round and sort me out? ha haha x

Lol, where do you live?

Sorry to hear you are still unwell and poor Jackie and your sister, let's hope that is the 3 things out the way for this year for you.

Silkies are so lovely, I have bantams and sat one of my hens on mixed frizzle and silkies eggs, I have kept the two white silkies hens and they are so friendly, one comes in to lay her eggs in a pink cat box and she is now sitting on lemon pekin cuckoo eggs due to hatch Monday hopefully :)

[/IMG]

I am not sure if she is pure breed as bought eggs of internet.

I had a frizzle and a silkie cockerel who have been re homed and they had their way with one of my blank Cochin bantams and I have ended up with these chics

Hope Jackie is fully recovered soon

Tanya

Lol, where do you live?

Sorry to hear you are still unwell and poor Jackie and your sister, let's hope that is the 3 things out the way for this year for you.

Silkies are so lovely, I have bantams and sat one of my hens on mixed frizzle and silkies eggs, I have kept the two white silkies hens and they are so friendly, one comes in to lay her eggs in a pink cat box and she is now sitting on lemon pekin cuckoo eggs due to hatch Monday hopefully
smile.png

[/URL]

I am not sure if she is pure breed as bought eggs of internet.

I had a frizzle and a silkie cockerel who have been re homed and they had their way with one of my blank Cochin bantams and I have ended up with these chics

Hope Jackie is fully recovered soon

Tanya

Thanks Tanya.

Your babies are gorgeous x

Thanks Tanya.

Your babies are gorgeous x

Oh! And I hope you feel better soon too boo.
big_smile.png

Jackie seems to be fine and was sitting on a couple of eggs today. I think one was hers which is a good sign. The other was a huge one from the white leghorn-Talula ha ha. She wasn't happy with me when I collected them from underneath her.
D.gif

I just want this purgatory to end!!! This is my first year (in May), of keeping chickens! What a baptism of fire!!! Ha ha ha.

Oh! And I hope you feel better soon too boo.
big_smile.png

Jackie seems to be fine and was sitting on a couple of eggs today. I think one was hers which is a good sign. The other was a huge one from the white leghorn-Talula ha ha. She wasn't happy with me when I collected them from underneath her.
D.gif

I just want this purgatory to end!!! This is my first year (in May), of keeping chickens! What a baptism of fire!!! Ha ha ha.

Hi everyone.

Hope you are all well. Not been on for a while due to a heavy workload and have also just spent a few days in Amsterdam which was lovely.

Sadly, Jackie passed in my arms shortly after my last post. Despite antibiotics and lots of TLC she just died.

Thankfully AI restrictions were lifted yesterday and my pen has been built. Just working on the covered run and planning a huge clean out and move around next week when the weather is a bit more settled. Will upload pics.
big_smile.png

Hi everyone.

Hope you are all well. Not been on for a while due to a heavy workload and have also just spent a few days in Amsterdam which was lovely.

Sadly, Jackie passed in my arms shortly after my last post.  Despite antibiotics and lots of TLC she just died.

Thankfully AI restrictions were lifted yesterday and my pen has been built.  Just working on the covered run and planning a huge clean out and move around next week when the weather is a bit more settled.  Will upload pics.:D
Hello! That's such a shame, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure you did all you could.

It definitely seems as if the worst of it has passed, here's hoping we have some nice spring weather for the girls to enjoy!! X

Back
Top Bottom