Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Premier always has free shipping for orders over $100, but I've never seen it for less. You could always get 2? From experience 1 small plate is not good for more than 10 chicks as they grow.

We ordered a large heat plate last night with two 5 gallon water's. Made it just over the 100 amount. At least we will have something for the extra 41 dollars.

Got them in the mail. I really like the leg design, although the plate itself (underneath) seems to be metal. We'll see how things go, I won't have any chicks to brood until mid-late February.

Got them in the mail. I really like the leg design, although the plate itself (underneath) seems to be metal. We'll see how things go, I won't have any chicks to brood until mid-late February.
So you have time to turn it on, get a few thermometers 'calibrated' and do some testing :D

The legs are threaded rods so you can twist them to change height?

Exactly!
big_smile.png

The legs are "threaded" but that's not how they work. There is a lever underneath that you push in, and can slide the leg to whatever height you want. So, height-wise, its A LOT more adjustable than the comparable Brinsea. The website for this design is http://comfortchicks.com/

I think so. I will plug it in today and see how hot it gets. Overall it is very similar, seems more heavy-duty, and I really like the adjustable legs a lot better. The small Brinsea was hard to change and I always felt like I was going to break it!

I think so. I will plug it in today and see how hot it gets. Overall it is very similar, seems more heavy-duty, and I really like the adjustable legs a lot better. The small Brinsea was hard to change and I always felt like I was going to break it!
So you have one of each (Brinsea and Premiere) and can do a side by side comparison?

We plugged our #60 heat plate in last night and waited an hour. The bottom of plate was very warm to the touch. It is about 2 1/2 times larger than our #20 Brinsea brooder. The heat plate is made in Holland. also the two 5 gallon waters we also bought are very well made and made in Italy. So far very happy.

Back
Top Bottom