Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
Been using both simultaneously for a while now. I still prefer the Brinsea. The chicks can touch the plate. With the ComfortChicks they have to stay close but will not touch the plate.

I think if the Comfort brooder had a cover on the bottom side, as Brinsea does, the problem would be solved.

How hard would it be to fasten a large piece of felt to a couple of bands of elastic and provide that barrier between the heat and the chicks? The elastic would hold it up tight to the plate and would make it easy to apply. That would be a cool thing to try...

Been using both simultaneously for a while now. I still prefer the Brinsea. The chicks can touch the plate. With the ComfortChicks they have to stay close but will not touch the plate.

I think if the Comfort brooder had a cover on the bottom side, as Brinsea does, the problem would be solved.

@Canieldonrad
Thanks for the review. What do you think about Bee's idea of putting something on the plate. In your experience with it, do you think it would work?

Thank you for the update. Many of us are watching.
I have a question though: I've heard of Premier1, but didn't realize there's another by Comfort Chicks. They look a lot alike. I would assume they're different, but they're sites are hard to tell the differences. Another one to compare
smile.png

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=120893&criteria=brooder

Someone may have already asked this, so forgive me if it is redundant. Can you use a heating pad situated similarly and get the same effect? I will be picking my chicks (6-8) up Saturday, and have the brooder ready with a heat lamp. BUT, I am at work during the day and am VERY concerned about leaving the heat lamp unattended. BTW, I am on a VERY tight budget and can't afford to buy an actual brooder plate. I also considered packing them up and bringing them to work with me, having a brooder set up at home and work, to avoid the light being left unattended. I own my own business and I bring my Doberman puppy to work, so why not the chicks, would it be too stressful for them? Also, I am in Florida, so no cold weather during travel to and from:)

Someone may have already asked this, so forgive me if it is redundant. Can you use a heating pad situated similarly and get the same effect? I will be picking my chicks (6-8) up Saturday, and have the brooder ready with a heat lamp. BUT, I am at work during the day and am VERY concerned about leaving the heat lamp unattended. BTW, I am on a VERY tight budget and can't afford to buy an actual brooder plate. I also considered packing them up and bringing them to work with me, having a brooder set up at home and work, to avoid the light being left unattended. I own my own business and I bring my Doberman puppy to work, so why not the chicks, would it be too stressful for them? Also, I am in Florida, so no cold weather during travel to and from:)

Great minds think alike! I've been pondering the same scenario for some years now and this year I'll be doing it. I've fashioned a wire fencing frame on which I have a pad that I quilted with feathers from rooster processing, that have been washed and dried. The pad has a pocket sewn in for my heating pad. When it's all together and the wire is inserted into the pocket also, it can be shaped for any height off the bedding. I call it my fake Chickie Mama. This will be the first year I get to try it and I'm sure it will act much like these hot plates but will cost me nothing as I already had all the materials here.

The only thing is you will want a heating pad that doesn't have a safety feature that makes it automatically shut off in 4 hrs.

Great minds think alike! I've been pondering the same scenario for some years now and this year I'll be doing it. I've fashioned a wire fencing frame on which I have a pad that I quilted with feathers from rooster processing, that have been washed and dried. The pad has a pocket sewn in for my heating pad. When it's all together and the wire is inserted into the pocket also, it can be shaped for any height off the bedding. I call it my fake Chickie Mama. This will be the first year I get to try it and I'm sure it will act much like these hot plates but will cost me nothing as I already had all the materials here.

The only thing is you will want a heating pad that doesn't have a safety feature that makes it automatically shut off in 4 hrs.
Ooooo Coooollll!! You should put a pic in the inventions thread!!

Good point Bee! I hadn't thought of that. I will make sure to leave mine on and see if it has an auto shut off. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom