Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
Quote:
Mine love it. I have them out in an unheated shop, and the heating plate is the only source of heat for them. I do have a lamp out there for them since there are no windows, but it has the energy saver bulb, so no heat from it at all.

When I stick my hand to the under surface, it is warm, but not hot to my touch.
Do you have an idea of what the air temperature is in the shop?

Do you have an idea of what the air temperature is in the shop?

No. I was going to get a thermometer at Wal-Mart, but of course they were out. The temp yesterday morning was 24 degrees. The water outside for my dogs had a coating of ice over it, I had to break it for them to drink. There was no ice in the chicks water, so I'm assuming it did not get below freezing in the shop.

We have another cold front coming in Sunday afternoon, supposed to get in the 20's again. I'll try and get something out there to check the temp.

My chicks did great. I'll go and check on them, and they will come out from under the heater to get something to eat and drink. Then they will run around and do their chicky thing. They don't seem bothered by the cool air.

So here's a newbie question: if I use a heat plate-type warmer for my new chicks, do I still need to monitor the temperature with a thermometer? Or do I not need to because they can escape the heat if they want?
Do you NEED one...no, not really......but I think as a newbie, or an insatiably curious person such as myself, it won't hurt to put a thermometer under there (and other spots in the brooder) to see just what the temp is....if you have one you know is accurate.

Folks who have done lots of chicks, don't do this because they have the experience of watching chick behavior in regards to heat....but that doesn't mean it's a wrong thing to do no matter your experience level.

Do you NEED one...no, not really......but I think as a newbie, or an insatiably curious person such as myself, it won't hurt to put a thermometer under there (and other spots in the brooder) to see just what the temp is....if you have one you know is accurate.

Folks who have done lots of chicks, don't do this because they have the experience of watching chick behavior in regards to heat....but that doesn't mean it's a wrong thing to do no matter your experience level.

That said, the heat plate is radiant heat.. a regular thermometer wont read that correctly and you may get to worrying about nothing.

That said, the heat plate is radiant heat.. a regular thermometer wont read that correctly and you may get to worrying about nothing.
A light bulb is creating radiant heat also......not much different than a plate, except it also generates light.

Hey!!.... one way to find out....would be....put a thermometer under there and see what it reads!!!!

It's merely an observation that may shed light later......or not. Not all data collected is critical or even applicable.

I was JUST reading your blog review of the brooder and thought, "I wonder if this has been posted on the thread at BYC yet?"
smile.png
Thanks for the great review! This is our first time raising chicks, but I'm sure it won't be the last. I think the plate is probably a good bet. Looks like it's back-ordered right now, but the in-stock date is tomorrow.
smile.png

Ha! Thanks- glad it was helpful! :)

Looks like they are backordered until April now. I know its a shot in the dark, but does anyone know any other websites that carry these?

Or does anyone have one to sell?

So since the heat plate is back ordered further then expected I now have chicks hatching and no heat plate for them and don't want to use heat lamps. My older chicks are 2.5 to 3 weeks old now so I am thinking of just taking their heat plate from them. They are in an xlarge wired dog kennel in my room. Temperature is usually around 73 and never drops below 70. I am thinking of putting one of those clear under the bed tubs in their brooder and filling it with hay for them to cuddle up in to sleep. Do you think that will work? Any other suggestions?

The chicks weren't staying under the heat plate mostly just running under it except at night some would sleep under it and some around the front of it.

Penny

Back
Top Bottom