Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
I got mine today. Whoot Whoot.. I can't wait to use it.
wee.gif

I got my Premeir heating plate (large) last week, and my 25 chicks early this morning. I have been an obsessive "mom" all day. I have had a heat lamp and the heating plate going all day, because the garage was cold, so I wanted the heat lamp so they could eat and drink comfortably. I find that the plate is so hot to the touch that I can't hold my hand on it for more than a second or two without it burning me. That is not what I read from others who got the plate earlier. I have one end of the plate up just high enough for the chicks to walk under it without it touching their backs (probably 1/2 inch above their backs when standing) - and the other end lower. That way I figured they could find a comfy spot. But, while they will run under the plate, almost none of them will stay there. They are now all falling asleep under the heat lamp which is right next to the heating plate. I have the heat lamp up high enough that it is slowly cooling down under it as the garage temp drops, but still no takers on the heating plate.

I had planned to turn the heat lamp (dark red) off at night. Now, I'm afraid to force them to use the heating plate by turning off the heat lamp, because I'm not sure if it is working correctly. They can't touch it without burning themselves, though it is probably warm enough under the plate without them actually touching. But, if some got pushed into a lower spot, it could hurt them, I think. The garage could get down into the low 40s tonight, so they would need the heat from the plate. I'm planning to keep the heat lamp on tonight, but would appreciate any suggestions for tomorrow and subsequent nights. I bought the heat plate so I wouldn't have to use the heat lamp at night.

I got my Premeir heating plate (large) last week, and my 25 chicks early this morning. I have been an obsessive "mom" all day. I have had a heat lamp and the heating plate going all day, because the garage was cold, so I wanted the heat lamp so they could eat and drink comfortably. I find that the plate is so hot to the touch that I can't hold my hand on it for more than a second or two without it burning me. That is not what I read from others who got the plate earlier. I have one end of the plate up just high enough for the chicks to walk under it without it touching their backs (probably 1/2 inch above their backs when standing) - and the other end lower. That way I figured they could find a comfy spot. But, while they will run under the plate, almost none of them will stay there. They are now all falling asleep under the heat lamp which is right next to the heating plate. I have the heat lamp up high enough that it is slowly cooling down under it as the garage temp drops, but still no takers on the heating plate.

I had planned to turn the heat lamp (dark red) off at night. Now, I'm afraid to force them to use the heating plate by turning off the heat lamp, because I'm not sure if it is working correctly. They can't touch it without burning themselves, though it is probably warm enough under the plate without them actually touching. But, if some got pushed into a lower spot, it could hurt them, I think. The garage could get down into the low 40s tonight, so they would need the heat from the plate. I'm planning to keep the heat lamp on tonight, but would appreciate any suggestions for tomorrow and subsequent nights. I bought the heat plate so I wouldn't have to use the heat lamp at night.

I suggest you turn off the heat lamp completely and just watch the chicks. You'll never know if they can tolerate the heating plate unless you remove the alternative source of heat and watch their reaction to having to use the heat plate. I think there was a post earlier about the temps of the plate and the company had responded with the fact that no chicks have been burned by the plate and their fuzz insulates them from getting hurt by it.

I think the severity of the heat is subjective to whoever is feeling the plate as some people have more sensitive skin than others to heat and cold. Some are reporting they can leave their hands on the plate without any problem and a few are reporting that it burns to do so.

Chicks under a broody mama will still come out and eat and drink comfortably even when the ambient temps are in the 30s and then will go back under mama to get warmed up. That's natural for them and so it's not uncomfortable. That's the whole idea of the heat plate, so it's not really giving it a fair shot if it's not used as intended...as the sole heat source for the chicks.

I say give it a try and see what happens!
thumbsup.gif

I'm glad I made my own..I would have gone nuts waiting!

Mine are already out of the heating pad brooder heater and are going without a heat source except each other. Today they are 2 wks old and the temps tonight will dip into the low 40s. They were let out of the brooder today and the brooder walls moved back to provide a wind break and they also have a bushel basket turned on its side in which to sleep. That's where they are right now...cute as can be. Those CX are some tough little boogers.

I suggest you turn off the heat lamp completely and just watch the chicks. You'll never know if they can tolerate the heating plate unless you remove the alternative source of heat and watch their reaction to having to use the heat plate. I think there was a post earlier about the temps of the plate and the company had responded with the fact that no chicks have been burned by the plate and their fuzz insulates them from getting hurt by it.

I think the severity of the heat is subjective to whoever is feeling the plate as some people have more sensitive skin than others to heat and cold. Some are reporting they can leave their hands on the plate without any problem and a few are reporting that it burns to do so.

Chicks under a broody mama will still come out and eat and drink comfortably even when the ambient temps are in the 30s and then will go back under mama to get warmed up. That's natural for them and so it's not uncomfortable. That's the whole idea of the heat plate, so it's not really giving it a fair shot if it's not used as intended...as the sole heat source for the chicks.

I say give it a try and see what happens!
thumbsup.gif

Bee, Great Post and Good Info!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom