Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
By big plate and small plate do you mean the 50 chick plates and 25 ones or the 35 and 15 ones. If you are talking about the second option, you can get them cheaper on that Irish website I linked to
Are these from the Irish site compatible with US plugs and 110v? I'm interested because the smallest size (15) they offer is not available in the US. The 30 chick size isn't offered either. Only the 20 and 50.

Quote: Quote:
Great! I hope they make lots of money :D
I agree with you both!

People were talking about making "plates" with heating pads. I wonder how these would work? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AZSR68/
These only work when the pet is 'present'.....meaning, I believe, that somehow their weight on the pad turns it on.

I made one out of my personal heating pad too...you need a heating pad that doesn't have an 'auto-off' safety feature.

But how much is shipping?

I'm not sure, try contacting the site owner. He is very helpful

Are these from the Irish site compatible with US plugs and 110v?   I'm interested because the smallest size (15) they offer is not available in the US.  The 30 chick size isn't offered either.  Only the 20 and 50.  

They come with a European plugs, but maceoins supply a uk adapter with all plates sold here. They might be able to get u.s adapters too, or you could get your own if they don't

Okay. Heat plate arrived. Quick delivery.

Turned it on and, to me, it feels WAY TOO HOT for any little chick to touch.

I got my lamp dimmer cord and have set it half way and I'm going to feel it again after it cools down some.

My dimmer is like this one: http://www.menards.com/main/p-2237970-c-6321.htm
I don't know if you remember, but the 'too hot' thing was brought up earlier in this thread...conclusion was, it's not a problem.

I felt the same way about my Premier heat plate. I just made sure I had one end a little higher than the other so there was some choice in where to sit. I generally tried to keep mine at a height that was barely touching their backs (not heads) when they were standing. That worked well, and I had no issues with chicks not using the plate or being harmed by it. BTW, it was so hot, I could not keep my hand on it for more than a few seconds, but, when they lay down, they are not touching it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom