Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
I felt the same way about my Premier heat plate. I just made sure I had one end a little higher than the other so there was some choice in where to sit. I generally tried to keep mine at a height that was barely touching their backs (not heads) when they were standing. That worked well, and I had no issues with chicks not using the plate or being harmed by it. BTW, it was so hot, I could not keep my hand on it for more than a few seconds, but, when they lay down, they are not touching it.

That's my experience - so hot I can't keep my hand on it.

The interesting thing is that the instructions and the write-up on the Premier site says that it is not designed to be a heat source but that they have to "TOUCH THE HEATING PLATE".

Quote: http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=120893&criteria=heat+plate
I still think it's too hot for a chick to touch. If it DOES radiate heat downward, like they say that it DOESN'T, then I'd just go ahead and put it up somewhat higher.

That's my experience - so hot I can't keep my hand on it.

The interesting thing is that the instructions and the write-up on the Premier site says that it is not designed to be a heat source but that they have to "TOUCH THE HEATING PLATE".

I still think it's too hot for a chick to touch. If it DOES radiate heat downward, like they say that it DOESN'T, then I'd just go ahead and put it up somewhat higher.

I can touch the shavings under the plate before I have the chicks in there, and they feel warmish.

PS: After I put the lamp dimmer switch on it and it cooled down, one chick went under. I have the switch at 1/2 right now.
Can you lay your hand on it now?

I think the premiere (or rather the manufacturer) have an optional rheostat...which is what the dimmers are.

Quote:
Yes, the mfg does offer a thermostatic control which makes me think that they feel there is the need for one :D Premier doesn't carry them.

I can put my hand on it after using the dimmer. The only thing I was concerned about is if the dimmer would be okay for use that way but I have kept it in my chicken house for over a year and used is on one of the lamps when I want to gradually turn the light off after working in there in the dark in winter. I also used it on the 250 watt heat lamp when I brooded chicks 2 years ago so that I didn't have to keep moving the lamp up and down.

I haven't brooded without a broody since, so this is the first time in 2 years I've brooded any chicks "unnaturally". Seriously, these kids need a mamma.

This is how they've situated themselves. (I had the towel in with them before I got the heat plate so added it for familiarity. They were sleeping either on or near it before. I had made them a little tunnel to go under it but they stayed on top mostly.)

My heat plate has never been too hot. I can hold my hand on it and it just feels warm and I am heat sensitive. I wonder why my heat plate isn't overly hot?

I read on one of these pages back about putting press & seal over the top of it for easy clean up when chicks stand on it & poop. Has anyone actually done this?? How did it work out? I'm thinking of trying this when I get my new Premier in a few days.

I read on one of these pages back about putting press & seal over the top of it for easy clean up when chicks stand on it & poop. Has anyone actually done this?? How did it work out? I'm thinking of trying this when I get my new Premier in a few days.
I haven't done it but i saw people tapping paper towel to the top of the plate

Yes I do this. Works awesome!! Just peeled a sheet today and replaced with a new one for the new chicks I'm getting.

Back
Top Bottom