Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
Enola is right. Some breeds do better in cold than others. Small combs and wattles, dense feathers, and good body size seem to be the keys to having chickens which deal with the cold well. I have 4 Easter Eggers, 3 Red Sex Links, a Buff Orpington and two Cuckoo Marans. I'm up in Northern Wyoming and it gets cold here too! Like cold cold. This was Wyoming a couple of weeks ago. We didn't get the worst of it, but we got our share! Mine are all doing fine.

I haven't had any frostbitten combs or wattles yet, although I do have a chick with frostbitten feet, which was a fluke rather than the norm. Keep your chickens dry. That's key. Good ventilation, good bedding, and good housekeeping will go a long way to keeping most chickens healthy in winter. Obviously tropical breeds don't do as well, nor do breeds fancier feathering but with care even they can get through a harsh winter. Search the forum for "winter hardy chicken breeds" and a lot of choices will pop up for you. We all have our favorites, so ultimately choice of breed starts with hardiness and then goes egg or meat production, colors, appearance and just plain personal appeal. Good luck!

What do you think would be the best breed of chickens for central Minnesota when it get as cold as negative 40-50
Thanks,
Connor

Wow that's COLD!
As for the kind of chickens, big chickens with small combs. Bigger chickens have more mass, and so can retain heat better (So, for example, DON'T get any tiny little bantams). The smaller combs are less susceptible to frostbite that sometimes happens at the tips of large combs.
I googled it, and this page recommends all kinds of birds (some of them might not be the best, they have big combs). It might give you some ideas.
https://www.purelypoultry.com/cold-hardy-chickens-c-154_251.html

The best strategy is to look at stores near you that sell chickens, if there are any. They will usually sell chickens good for your region. Also, the chickens will not have to suffer the stress of travel if you buy them locally (even stores that ship them are better than shipping them yourself, because more chickens= more warmth in winter, and you don't have the surprise of some dead chicks)

You know, aart, I didn't think of using the light for the first day or so just to observe them and make sure there are no problems with any of them. I'm going to add that to my "brooding out in the coop" plan! Scout is the first chick I've used Mama Heating Pad for, so he was already almost 2 weeks old or so when he went under it. But I didn't have to train him....I just showed him once where it was and he took it from there. Day old chicks might not get it that fast. Thanks!!
Very good info on both your parts. Thanks Blooie and aart. I have the 12' x 12' coop sitting waiting for my ISA Brown pullets I'm getting next month. This is definitely the way to go.
thumbsup.gif

Did premiere ever come up with a way to adjust the temp? Last year I thought that was something they were thinkin about. I have 2 small brinseas and thinking on getting the bigger premiere now.

I purchased the premier heat plate (by cozy chicken) and received yesterday. I had 3 golden laced wyandottes chicks that I started on a 60 watt bulb for heat last Thursday. I set up the plate last night, but left the light bulb on (but raised it a bit). I have my chicks in a spare room in the house with a portable oil filled radiator to warm the room to 80 degrees. This morning I turned the light bulb and my chicks scooted right under the heat plate. So a transition can be done! Away at work for 12 hours and they are find and dandy! Just 1 night, but I know I feel safer with the heat plate than a heat lamp or light bulb!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom