Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
chrissyr : Since you just ordered, can you tell me how long is the back order for the plates?

It says on the website that it goes down to 32*, I think?

Peepchicks, if they are 5 weeks old they should be feathered out. It was cold in the evening 45* last fall when my 5-week olds were out, so I put a timer on a heat lamp from 7pm-7am, and that worked great for a little night time warmth in the open coop. They all would get on the branch and snuggle under the light, which was hung 3 feet above their roost. Seemed to work. It would be hard for my coop to catch fire, so I didn't worry after the first night that i check at 3am!

chrissyr : Since you just ordered, can you tell me how long is the back order for the plates?

It says on the website that it goes down to 32*, I think?

Peepchicks, if they are 5 weeks old they should be feathered out.  It was cold in the evening 45* last fall when my 5-week olds were out, so I put a timer on a heat lamp from 7pm-7am, and that worked great for a little night time warmth in the open coop.  They all would get on the branch and snuggle under the light, which was hung 3 feet above their roost.  Seemed to work.  It would be hard for my coop to catch fire, so I didn't worry after the first night that i check at 3am!
it's not back ordered right now, but last spring they had upwards of 2 months for a wait list.
I was worried when people saw the quality of the item in the pics, there would be the same situation.
So I placed my order before posting the pics ;)
The first one I got in about 5-6 working/shipping days.
This way I can have 3 grow out pens for different ages if needed.

I just got my plate in from Premiere. Looks very well built and easier to adjust than my small brinseas. Was wondering a couple of things:

I usually put Glad Press n Seal on the brinsea to keep it clean.
Will the top of the Premiere get too hot to do that? I haven't tried it yet but heard it gets hotter.

I also got the dimmer switch incase I need it. Those who have it: any recommendation on dimming?

I have heard the Brinsea doesn't work under 50 degrees, but imagined the Premiere might work a little better. Hopefully someone
can add input on that.
my premiere actually doesn't get hot on top. has yours?

Mine is barely warm on top. Handles the Press and Seal Cling wrap very well.
My Barred Rock chick has been hopping on and off the top already on the second day!

I am extremely pleased with this heat source.

my premiere actually doesn't get hot on top. has yours?
no not at all. But before I tried it , some of the reviews said the top gets warm and the yellow sticker on top kind of implied it. Now that I have it going I see that the top doesn't get warm

Mine is barely warm on top. Handles the Press and Seal Cling wrap very well.
My Barred Rock chick has been hopping on and off the top already on the second day!

I am extremely pleased with this heat source.
I just put on the glad cling wrap too! It works great!

Large or Small plate to start 20 Cornish meat chicks? Or Maybe 2 small plates since they only draw 22 wats each and the large draws 66 watts?

I would use the large. They grow FAST.

ETA: The large plate is more than twice the size of the small one. It would probably take 3 small ones to equal 1 large one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom