Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
I have a small animal heating pad but though it helps, not warm enough. I was on a hunt for heating pads for myself a couple years back and wasn't impressed. As a nurse, I have had patients who blistered with them, so I'm not sold on their safety--- these were fully oriented patients. But, this light is an obvious fire hazard as I have already melted the side of a tote 3 times this year. So if I can find and purchase at least it will be coming.
wink.png
This is the heating pad I am using....not sure if it's up to snuff for humans, but it works for chicks(IF you remember to disable the 'auto-off' feature:
http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-2013-912-XpressHeat-Heating-Extra/dp/B005NZ66KU
(I just added this link to my build thread too)

Last edited:
I have a small animal heating pad but though it helps, not warm enough. I was on a hunt for heating pads for myself a couple years back and wasn't impressed. As a nurse, I have had patients who blistered with them, so I'm not sold on their safety--- these were fully oriented patients. But, this light is an obvious fire hazard as I have already melted the side of a tote 3 times this year. So if I can find and purchase at least it will be coming.
wink.png
You are absolutely right, Annjee. Heating Pads can leave a nasty burn if they are left on too long. It generally happens when the person is either laying on it or sitting back with the pad between the body and the back of a chair. When my dad got his heating pad burn on his lower back, he'd also used Icy Hot before he put the heating pad on. Duh, Dad!

But in the context of the way Mama Heating Pad works, none of these things are in the equation. It simply drapes over a wire frame. The chicks never come into direct contact with it. There is a towel or other insulator between them and the pad which is why they can roost up there comfortably and grab a nap. My heating pad has been on continually since the first week in March. The first time I used a heating pad for this, it was on continually for almost 2 months and the lone chick under it did very well despite it being 4 below zero. I can lay my hand on top of the cave and feel nothing but gentle warmth, not "heat". So overall this system is so much safer than a heat lamp.

Keep in mind that the size of the plate they give (25 vs. 50 chicks) is really for very young (small) chicks. I used mine until they were pretty much feathered, and was really happy I had a large plate for 25 chicks. The small would not have been big enough for 25 for long.

Keep in mind that the size of the plate they give (25 vs. 50 chicks) is really for very young (small) chicks. I used mine until they were pretty much feathered, and was really happy I had a large plate for 25 chicks. The small would not have been big enough for 25 for long.

I used the small one last year for my 21 chicks. It worked great. They had plenty of room. As they grew, the didn't all need to sleep right under it, so some would sleep on the outskirts or even on top of it.

I have my premier ready to be turned on tomorrow for my new chicks. I can't believe it's been a year since I used it.

just to update: I make sure on the large plate that the press and seal wrap covers the tops of the legs. I had issues with sand and such getting in where the leg slides. It's perfectly cleanable, but would rather not have to :)

Quote: I DID use the lamp dimmer with mine. I felt it was way too hot to touch. I kept it at about half way or less the whole time and it worked fine for the kiddos.

PS: Got my dimmer at the local Menards. I use it all the time - even as a light switch for at night when I need to have a little light to use in the chicken house to see what I'm doing but don't want to turn a light on full.

Similar to this:

41gCDoU%2BjoL._SX425_.jpg

I would not have used it without the dimmer.

http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-TT-300H-WH-Electronics-Plug-In-Dimmer/dp/B0000BYEF6

Last edited:
I think you should give it another try. Raise it up though. I moved my chicks and ducklings to the big new coop just for them. Tonight here in AR; supposed to be in the mid 40's . Put the heat plate out there just in case. Went out to check on them. They were all sleeping with their heads all propped on the ducklings; as if they were down pillows. (Which they are!) No where near the plate. The ducks are younger than the chicks by a week; but 10 times as big! Also make sure there is clearance all the way around the plate. Then the heat can radiate a bit. Instead of being an oven. GOOD LUCK

I've been using the heatplate during the night and the heat lamp during the day,it's going ok now,they seem to settle after a while and when the lights go out,the silkie chicks are climbing on the backs of the bigger chicks to get even closer to the heatplate

Back
Top Bottom