Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
I got the Brinsea ecoglow which is pretty similar.I like these Radiant heat brooders they are extremely cost effective and Safe as can be!!No more fire worries and a piece of mind. Chicks love them too.

I HAVE one of these BIG Lectro kennel pads for puppies http://www.khpet.com/original-lectro-kennel.html

reading this thread it occurs to me that I could just flip it upside down on some supports and basically have the same thing without spending any $ right?
Maybe....with some of those, the heat is actuated with the pets weight, some have thermostats so may not stay warm with nothing on it.

Test it, support it on a wire rack or something,
that one looks rigid so might be easy to support without a stiff wire rack underneath,
turn it on and see if it stays warm......might work.
The surface of the plate heaters and even the heating pad I use is about 100-130F.

Thanks for the reply. I actually got some answers overnight

the surface temp of this product on high (I have the optional controller) the company says it actually heats to 102 with an animal in contact with it

The Maker of the Premier heat plate (Comfort Chick) says that a thermometer laid on the plate will not give an accurate reading and that
Important to know is that a heating plate is not a heat source like a heat bulb. A heat bulb becomes very hot and radiates the heat downwards. A heating plate is completely different, as only the surface of the bottom side of the heating plate is warm. It is important that the chicks can touch the heating plate, especially when they are new born. For that reason the height adjustment is very crucial.

and Premier says
The heating plate will reach approximately 125 degrees with the chicks touching it

So the pad I have will reach a temp of approx. 102 in contact with an animal vs approx. 125 of the Premier/ Comfort Chick plate
So it "might" work for chicks as long as they can touch it. Only way to know is to try I guess

I don't think it will work with chicks. The heat mats are based on weight/contact. A chick has almost no "weight". It all depends on how much "weight" it takes against the mat.

ETA: Do an experiment. Turn on the heat mat and lay it on some thing - like 2 bricks on either side - that allows the center to be raised with space under it. LIGHTLY touch your hand to the bottom surface and see if you feel any heat coming from the mat.

Last edited:
I know it makes heat without weight because I used it wedged between 2 dog crates covered with a blanket to keep the dogs warm one winter and when it is on you can feel the heat

I know it makes heat without weight because I used it wedged between 2 dog crates covered with a blanket to keep the dogs warm one winter and when it is on you can feel the heat
Then I think it will work....you'll want to support it on something with adjustable legs, will make it easy to raise as they grow...they like their backs touching it.

What kind of ambient temp will it be working in?

Quote:
Quote:
Please keep us updated on how it works for you! And, also, what you use as legs
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom