Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
The ecoglow and the premier plates are all I use in my quail hatching. they work excellent! I also bought a GQF brooder but bought the one without the heat source as it was pretty high wattage. Used an ecoglow (not sure the premier will fit the cord?) threaded through a back hole for the heat and it worked perfectly!

nothing other than the bottom of the plate. I'd have to look but I think it is some kind of plastic. The Premier 1 is metal. I use both and like both for different reasons.

Mary

I'm using the premier 50 for 20 heritage turkeys, and need some help.
idunno.gif

This is my first time raising turkeys. While I don't currently have chickens (25 are shipping May 15th) I have brooded 3 batches in the past.

Here is a thread I started:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1099792/first-time-turkey-owner

I also asked for help in emergencies/diseases, but I have not gotten any response.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1100177/turkey-poulets-dying

I am hoping I can get a response from someone who has brooded turkeys with a heat plate.

Two turkeys were DOA on arrival, 1 was very weak and died in the first 24hrs. The hatchery did not put a heat pack in with them, or anything else, just the box. We did have cold temps (34-38) at night.

The rest seemed like they were doing well, running around, eating and drinking, making happy turkey sounds. The only time I would get loud chirping is when they would jump on top of the HP and not know how to get down.

I lost 1 more yesterday, he died sometime in the night!

I have 1 more that started getting wobbly and had a hard time walking. He is still eating if I set him in front of the food. I am doing that every hour. I really don't want to lose him.

I'm getting very discouraged
sad.png

Any advise you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I have never had turkeys but have been told they are really stupid as baby chicks and have to be shown everything- how to drink eat and where to go for warmth

Yes, you do have to keep showing them, over and over.
I've read raising them with a few chicken chicks can show them they way to survival...if chickens aren't carrying blackhead.

Back
Top Bottom