Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
I've been using a Premier heat plate for 15 Cornish X and noticing it (I believe) is causing little burns at the point of their wings that stick out a bit on their backs for a couple of my chicks. I'm going to contact Premier too, but has anyone else had this issue? I don't think it's the height--I've had one end on close to the highest setting. Perhaps just b/c they have less feathering?

Use a lamp dimmer with it and dial it down to a reasonable temperature. These were designed to be used with a temperature regulator that they don't make for the US yet.

Some of the plates are extremely hot to the touch. Mine is. And I use a lamp dimmer with it setting it where it it comfortable to keep my hand on the plate.

See these 2 posts:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...at-plate-brooder-for-chicks/740#post_18055231

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...at-plate-brooder-for-chicks/730#post_18052049

Thanks for the info! That is really frustrating and I'm not pleased. Product at the least shouldn't be burning chicks. Even with a modification needed that Premier makes no mention of. :(

Thanks for the info! That is really frustrating and I'm not pleased. Product at the least shouldn't be burning chicks. Even with a modification needed that Premier makes no mention of.
sad.png

It seems, if you read through more on this thread, that not all of them are set very hot. I can't verify that because I haven't felt any of the other folks heat plates. But I know mine is WAY TOO HOT for a chick to try to push up against without the heat modification.
Have you ever tried putting your hand on it when it's turned on to see how it feels to you?

Not sure if your box still shows them as the box may be changed since I bought mine, but on the back of the box it shows a temperature regulator cord (much like the lamp dimmer except in black and designed to be sold as an accessory for the heat plate). I contacted the company several times in the last few years about them but they don't make them for the US version (different electric current) and as far as I can tell, they don't plan to.

Not sure that talking with Premier will make a difference, but I wish they'd either push the company to make it available for US electric or encourage folks to purchase some kind of temperature regulator that they think will work to solve the problem.

Some of the plates get hot enough to cause burns?! That sounds like quality control issues, not an absent dimmer option. :(

I built one of the mama heating pad huts. $13 total cost because I used scrap materials with a purchased heating pad. I'd be furious if I'd shelled out the $ for a prefab heatplate and it needed a modification to work as advertised.

No, not a quality control issue. It is an issue of not having provided the temperature controller option to the US market. They were always made to be used with a controller.

I can't keep my hand on it for more than about 10 seconds. I talked with the rep and she indeed confirmed that the "optional" regulator is not available for US voltage. Here's a pic of back of box if anyone's interested. I'm sending back--thankfully they will refund. I'd try the dimmer, but, y'know, I already have this thing running off a power strip and an extension cord and I'm wary of adding one more element (esp when they sell a product that they suggest needs a modification that isn't available). I'm going to try to get set up with MHP for next time. Beware, anyone wanting to use this with Cornish chicks! I knew it was hot but figured they'd move away. Perhaps the combo of Cornish being lazier and also less feathered is the issue. They did say they'd had issues with pouffy heads getting scorched but never backs. My little piggies only have eight weeks on this planet as meat birds, I really don't want them to be getting burned too. :(

Lectrokennel sells a regulator that is at the plug outlet you plug item in and regulate current via dial

I use a lectrokennel pad with this regulator I have had it about 30 years still works great

Back
Top Bottom