Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
I have one! I'm using the 50 chick size for 6 chicks approx 1 week old. It is hot to the touch, I raised mine a bit off the shavings. They love it! During the day they "nap" next to it, and at night they get under it and juuuust stick their little heads out. (They are in a 70 degree house so their heat needs are low ATM-but we'll be moving to be cold garage in the next few days!) They love to play and scratch and come out to eat and drink, climb all over the heat plate and then duck back under for a quick snuggle. Lovely!

So I've read some posts and heard good reviews and troubleing heat issues. We are doing quail, ducks and in the future geese. Right now we are using 60w bulbs and red lamps. All in all would you recommend it or something else?

Last edited:
So I've read some posts and heard good reviews and troubleing heat issues. We are doing quail, ducks and in the future geese. Right now we are using 60w bulbs and red lamps. All in all would you recommend it or something else?

I just got a refund on mine. This was what was happening to my Cornish X chicks--you can see the little round burns at the tops of her wings. The heat regulator shown on the box isn't available in the US. I'm going to go the heating pad route next time. Some folks have used lamp dimmers effectively.

I just got a refund on mine. This was what was happening to my Cornish X chicks--you can see the little round burns at the tops of her wings. The heat regulator shown on the box isn't available in the US. I'm going to go the heating pad route next time. Some folks have used lamp dimmers effectively.

I'm so sorry that happened to you but what is the heat pad route? Do you mind explaining that in a little more detail please?

I am! 6 chicks, they love it. They are in an unheated, insulated garage and thriving @ 3 weeks old. (It's probably 40-50 degrees)

Back
Top Bottom