Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
When I first brought my chicks home, they wouldn't go under it at all. I had to keep putting them under it until they got the idea. The first couple of times I went to check on them, I would have to move the heat plate to get them out from under it. They would go eat/drink then huddle in the corner to keep warm. I would put them back under it. Took about 2 times of doing this and then they got the idea. Now when I go out to check on them, I pull the sheet back off the brooder and out they come ready to eat. When they are finished, the run back under it and get all comfy! These chicks weren't used to a heat lamp. The feed store I got them at uses a brooder room and it's heated. I was hot by the time I picked/caught them all. I think as they get bigger, they won't need to stay under it as much. I have the small one. The box says it's good for 20-25 chicks. I'll see how it goes when the get a bit bigger. Here they are peaking out from under it. I'm really glad I bought this heat plate.
That's good to know that they are trainable! Are you still glad that you bought the heat plate? Are you still using it?

I put a fresh batch of meat birds(15 Red Rangers) under my Premier plate today, they are starting to get the idea but some still prefer the 90watt spotlight so I moved it higher to reduce the warmth and encourage using the plate.

Fourth season with the premier heater. I would use nothing else. You do have to adjust the height for the breeds you have. It is hot to the touch, but not THAT hot. I don't understand birds getting burned. I have 8 white faced Spanish and polish under it now. Next week will be 8 more salmon favorille, wheaten marans and a few naked necks.They all love it!

Fourth season with the premier heater. I would use nothing else. You do have to adjust the height for the breeds you have. It is hot to the touch, but not THAT hot. I don't understand birds getting burned. I have 8 white faced Spanish and polish under it now. Next week will be 8 more salmon favorille, wheaten marans and a few naked necks.They all love it!

Thank you! I just bought two, the small and the large. I'm hopeful for my birds and future birds using this product!

This is my 3rd season using the heat plate.Like Robeenop, I can't imagine doing it any other way (except maybe a mama heating pad, essentially the same thing). I pushed them under there once, and after that, when I turn off the lamp - under they all go. I had very young chicks that arrived in 1 day from the hatchery.

What I love about it is they rest well in between bouts of feeding and running around, and there is not a peep all night long because it is dark. Just like a broody with her chicks. I keep a heat lamp on during the day in my 40-50 degree garage for only about 3 days - and that probably isn't necessary. I turn it off at night or even when I leave the house for a few hours. Last year a broody raised chicks in my coop for me, and those little chicks never had a heat lamp. It was 40-60 during the day - they just go back under mama when they need to. With the hatchery chicks, I leave a bright light (not heat) on during the day over their food, which I place away from the heat plate. That encourages them to run back and forth, which they do all day long.

I've never used a rheostat and never had burned chicks, and I have raised meat birds with it. I just keep one end higher than their backs and the other end just a little lower than standing height of the smallest chicks. That way each chick can find their sweet spot. And I use the large size for 25 chicks, as they need the larger space as they grow.

Just thought I would upload pics of my new coop, (not finished with run yet) with brooder inside. As before, in about 2-3 weeks, I will turn them loose in the coop.They will have free room in their new home

I put 15 red broilers under Wednesday and once I moved the spotlight they figured out the plate and are quite calm and VERY quiet, last night was the first lights out all night, night. Even when it is in the 40s they seem to be OK venturing out from under the plate to stretch and eat/drink.

It was in the upper 40's again last night. They were in there peeping away, running around etc. I have LED Christmas lights I string in and around all my coops ( I work at Lowe's and buy them after Christmas CHEAP) I turned off their 60W LED, and they went right under the plate. I checked again around 11pm. Not a sound. This morning at 5a when I open my other coops, still not a sound. I went out again at dawn, turned on the bulb, all I heard was peeping and running to food and water. They are doing AWESOME as usual.
AGAIN, it doesn't take much to spend $100 at Premier. I just ordered their 4 foot electric poultry netting. I use as a movable run. I love it! Also last winter after struggling with frozen water, I bought 2 of their heated waterers with thermostat...not cheap, but what I had already spent trying other things? I just wanted something that WORKED!!! I consider buying quality products for my flock of 45 chickens and 7 ducks..it is an investment. I have built 4 coops. The first is 8x8x7tall. Cost me over $1000. My most recent for newbies is 6x7x7 tall. Spent less than $100...you learn along the way! BTW I have not lost a chick since I changed to heat plate...period.
**note** I lived in Europe for 4 yrs, the reason the other brand plates need rheostats is they don't convert to 110v that we use in the states. I had forgotten about that. I believe the plate is made/patented overseas but the actual premier unit is built in the USA. Makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom