Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
Your coop is awesome! I NEVER intended on having a flock the size I do. I almost converted my 20 x 20 separate garage into a coop. Got too many dirty looks on that one. A chicken coop village is quite nice though. A 8x8x7 lean to from my garage, a 8x6 "A" frame, and a 6x6x6 stilt house. Not including my new one. All have cutsie signs, wind chimes, and sun catchers everywhere. Now making chicken swings and free standing perches for in the large enclosure. I don't completely free range due to resident hawks and a favorite great horned owl. I did get great deals on sun sails from overstock.com, they make shade, protection etc. I have 80 acres behind my home, so wide open cow pasture is like a buffet. not for my girls! Enjoy your new flock! I work a stressful job, but my flock relaxes me...let alone my clown ducks...

Chicks are here, they have learned how to eat and drink and get under the plate to warm up. I went out to check on them right after dark and one was chirping loudly, she was not under the plate and likely could not find it in the dark, I put her under it and all quiet. They are huddled really close together now, I checked again... I will likely check again in an hour but I think they are in for the night. We are looking at a low of 44 tonight.

Gary

Update: Sorry for the delay on the update but my healths been crazy and this being our first hatching, well it's been crazy! :barnie
Over the course of three days we had a total of 49 quail eggs hatch though one of our babies died with the first few hours. :hit
We bought a heat plate to replace the lights since I'm always afraid they will fall, burn chicks, catch something on fire or explode! Not to mention my electricity bill! I have to say the heat plate from Premier1 is AWESOME!!! :woot
Our quailing? I think that's the right terminology. Yes our quailing are feathering out, jumping around, testing their wings and most importantly quiet! :duc
I candled last night and good thing I did! Since I probably overstuffed my Incuview with quail eggs they weren't turning like they should in the top corners, so I moved the fertile eggs more in the middle and shoved what I think are blanks into the corners.
1f95a.png
1f52d.png

Also when I was candling the EHAL quail eggs I thought I might as well check in on the EHAL Duck Eggs which are in the same incubator. Oh my they are so CUTE! They responded to my voice!!! Its like watching a sonicgram of a baby but in egg form!!!!!! :weee
Now we will just have to wait and see what happens Easter Weekend! :pop

Last edited:
So far so good:) Day 6 with the small heat plate, 7 chicks. It was 35 degrees in the coop this morning, everyone was under the plate when I came out, they all came out to say good morning and have bob around the brooder. No pasty butt, I had one fluffy yellow one on day 3 with poop stuck on her butt fluff that I washed off but I it was just the daddy in me wanting to be sure they were clean, not caked on.

I am glad I bought this as opposed to making the MHP with a heating pad for a couple of reasons, first I did not have to make anything, second when I am done with it I will clean it up and put it in the box it came in, nice and tidy:) I paid $59 for it shipped Amazon prime so it was probably more money but seems worth it to me. The best part is it works for me brooding in the coop in relatively cold temps.

PS, one thing I noticed when I tested it in the garage it seemed too hot and I dug out a dimmer I had for something else to tune it down. When I put it in the coop using a long heavy duty extension cord it was not as hot, no dimmer needed. The extension cord likely loses some power over the distance of the cord.

Gary

So far so good:) Day 6 with the small heat plate, 7 chicks. It was 35 degrees in the coop this morning, everyone was under the plate when I came out, they all came out to say good morning and have bob around the brooder. No pasty butt, I had one fluffy yellow one on day 3 with poop stuck on her butt fluff that I washed off but I it was just the daddy in me wanting to be sure they were clean, not caked on.

I am glad I bought this as opposed to making the MHP with a heating pad for a couple of reasons, first I did not have to make anything, second when I am done with it I will clean it up and put it in the box it came in, nice and tidy:) I paid $59 for it shipped Amazon prime so it was probably more money but seems worth it to me. The best part is it works for me brooding in the coop in relatively cold temps.

PS, one thing I noticed when I tested it in the garage it seemed too hot and I dug out a dimmer I had for something else to tune it down. When I put it in the coop using a long heavy duty extension cord it was not as hot, no dimmer needed. The extension cord likely loses some power over the distance of the cord.

Gary
Interesting....makes sense tho!
Good to know the dimmer cord worked for you too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom