Is Burdock root okay for chickens?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I was ordering herbs for my Etsy shop the other day, and somehow accidentally ordered Burdock root instead of Marshmallow root. :confused: I was to late to cancel the order, and Amazon wont let me return it, so I'm hoping I can still use it.
When I asked Google about Burdock root for chickens to do some light research, I came a cross some opposing opinions on wether or not it is toxic. Most articles said no, but I came across one or two that said yes. I figured I needed to double check before putting it into any products.
If it isn't toxic, does anyone know if its beneficial? In an article about dogs I read it was beneficial for digestion, which is what I was looking for with Marshmallow root. Thanks in advance. :)

I'm not very familiar with the plant myself, but the following link has it as a poisonous plant. I would avoid giving it to the chickens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/comprehensive-list-of-poisonous-plants-and-trees.627282/
Interesting. Thanks for posting that.
I see that the OP also lists acorns as a toxic plant. I want to say I've seen threads were members are talking about their chickens eating acorns without any issues. Maybe that was ducks.
I'll avoid it until I hear otherwise, just to be on the safe side. Maybe the dogs get lucky. :p

Last edited:
Bumping this, does anyone know more about this?
I know I said earlier that I wouldn't feed it, but I'm starting to wonder if its really a concern. I know that we have the plant around here, and Its been growing in the run. Looked over some past threads of people saying they had no issues. Thoughts? I'm also reading about the benefits and am wanting to possibly use it in a wild crafted blend in my Etsy shop....
I hate those darned burrs to the core, it would be nice to have a use for them. 😂

Hi Chicken People! I've been a lurker on here for years but finally signed up. I was looking for burdock info and toxicity because I had three chicks--all in the same brooder--come down ill. The kind of ill that is usually associated with eating something that gets stuck in the crop, like stringy stuff, fibrous leaves or getting into adult chickens whole grains. I knew I had not fed them anything like that, I wondered if they had eaten bedding suddenly? Which seemed strange.

I did the standard fix for that, which involves giving them grit and avoiding grain, but using olive oil, yogurt and flax mixture, etc with the grit. That usually works in a day or two. The next day one was dead. The biggest one. These were in a brooder by themselves, coming from a different batch that the others in brooders in the same room.

I did an autopsy.

I was surprised to see a crop full of feed, but no obstructive material. I examined the intestines as something was blocked obviously. They were full and not moving. There was no poop in the new box I'd moved them to, as I'd laid down fresh paper towel. The bowels were full of green semi-solid gunk. It stank, and it seemed there was maybe abrasion because I saw a bit of blood in one place.

I am certain that in they ate the burdock leaves in the brooder. I often have used burdock leaves as chick mats, they prevent slipping, are compostable, and seemed like an ideal solution. My chickens never touch burdock leaves. I have tasted them on my hands after ripping them from the stems--very bitter. But I don't know they are toxic.
But to chickns and chicks in particular, they should be considered toxic if eaten. I believe what happened was that they pecked and ate at the leaf matter, which was mixed with other brooder material, but they went for the leaf. They had tipped over the feeder the day before, and I got out the feed I saw there, but I am sure they got some, and then afterwards started eating the burdock leaves.

I feel so bad about it. Always trying to give them the best start, and usually I do a pretty good job. But this is so upsetting. In 24 hours all three were dead. They were a Cornish Dorking Plus cross I was working on, and a good Meat King substitute, as they are healthy, reproducing, dual-purpose, etc. The biggest one had the most meaty body and would have been a good sire for a new flock. He died first, having consumed the most of it.

I don't know if there are actual components within the leaf to kill chicks in concentrating. But regardless of that, the fibrous nature of the leaf matter will clog and kill them in the intestine. It being bitter, no wonder the adults shun it. But chicks on their own will try anything, especially if it has feed wasted on it.

As for Burdock root, it is a vegetable in Japan, and it has health benefits for chickens. It can be consumed as a tea as well. In Oriental medicine it is considered valuable as a vegetable and a supplement as in a medicinal food. BUT now I am not sure I'd give it to chickens. If it were to be given, it has to be cooked to soft, same as how humans eat it.
Anyway, my advice would be to not bother giving it to them. It's not worth the risk. Unless you knew from an expert, as in a chemist or something, that it was okay.
I think one additional issue with what happened with my chicks was that the leaf material was wilted and tougher even than the fresh. It rehydrated in the intestine and just blocked their pipes like a clogged sink. I think if it were fresh they might have eaten less? And not had that extra perfect storm of burdock leaf terror? Another caution, wilted vegetable matter, which I would never feed them anyway, unless it was iceberg lettuce! They weren't meant to eat it in the brooder. The others had it in there, they didn't eat theirs. But they didn't spill food on it either.

Poor little things, I am going to destroy all burdock on the property. It serves me no purpose and it's potentially deadly.

I was ordering herbs for my Etsy shop the other day, and somehow accidentally ordered Burdock root instead of Marshmallow root. :confused: I was to late to cancel the order, and Amazon wont let me return it, so I'm hoping I can still use it.
When I asked Google about Burdock root for chickens to do some light research, I came a cross some opposing opinions on wether or not it is toxic. Most articles said no, but I came across one or two that said yes. I figured I needed to double check before putting it into any products.
If it isn't toxic, does anyone know if its beneficial? In an article about dogs I read it was beneficial for digestion, which is what I was looking for with Marshmallow root. Thanks in advance. :)
I eat burdock root. I use burdock root, fresh and dried, in soups and stews. It's not toxic t humans. I have no idea how it affects animals. I've never used burdock for medicine.

Back
Top Bottom