Is guessing the chicken sex by looking at eggs size real? If yes, tell me the outcomes of the following eggs.

Shady77

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2024
IMG-20240330-WA0002.jpg

People have had theories about that for thousands of years. Some people will swear their method works but some wil swear the Earth if flat.

The commercial hatcheries have studied this and could save a lot of money if they could identify the sex of a chick before incubation started. Other than expensive DNA testing they have not come up with anything that works. That should tell you something.

This is the first time I've heard that size matters. Different breeds and different chickens lay different sizes. I don't see how size could be any kind of criteria.

No, the size of egg also changes with size of the hens body.. what would that say for all pullet or bantam size eggs verse mature or large fowl sized eggs?

The size of the egg does effect the size of the chick.. Smaller eggs hatch smaller chicks. Bigger eggs hatch bigger chicks. They will still meet their eventual genetic potential size.

Of course in that gender prediction theory.. which is still hogwash.. "they" may be talking about the relative comparison size of the egg from the same individual hen. This is in line with the pointed verses rounded theory.. which also has nothing to do with gender chromosome inheritance.

I predict chicken chicks in both genders. And note that pictures are rarely worth a thousand words.. those *look* like Silkie eggs.

For hatching purposes.. eggs *should* be about equal size/color so they have ABOUT the same amount of evaporation. With that said.. I have totally (and regularly) hatched Silkies with Marans and others.. with large disparity in egg size... but with my incubation parameters dialed in..

With all that said.. I'm not here to be right, I'm here to have fun, share, and learn.. here's a couple links that support your theory, one fun discussion and two more technical..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/does-egg-shape-determine-gender.1515820/

https://www.scielo.br/j/rbca/a/wRXK...ngth was considered,the sex of hatching chick.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9832119/

I will note on the back side of this.. I have seen evidence that incubation temperature effects viability of which gender is most likely to survive.. meaning that one or the other doesn't make it to hatch.. not that the gender was changed by such conditions. Gender is determined by the hen before the egg is laid. I've personally had power outages and temperature spikes.. and still gotten 50/50 results.

Happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

From what I read online (and what other said): No. The bigger the egg, the older the chicken. Old chickens lay bigger eggs, young chickens smaller. And then there's also the thing about different chicken species having different sizes...

Whether it's a hen or rooster is only determined at the earliest when they are born (first 3 days and no later) and by professionals only (check youtube, it's rather tricky and an amateur attempting it will likely kill the chicks). Better to just let them grow and see how they develop after a bunch of weeks.

People have had theories about that for thousands of years. Some people will swear their method works but some wil swear the Earth if flat.

The commercial hatcheries have studied this and could save a lot of money if they could identify the sex of a chick before incubation started. Other than expensive DNA testing they have not come up with anything that works. That should tell you something.

This is the first time I've heard that size matters. Different breeds and different chickens lay different sizes. I don't see how size could be any kind of criteria.

Yea the only study I read that might have some value is that the higher the incubation temperature, the more chance of roosters developing, lower temps more chance of hens. But that study was also inconclusive at best.

I've heard that different ways for chickens and don't really put any faith in it. If it did work that way the hatcheries hatching laying birds would be trying to hatch only girls. The meat bird hatcheries would want mostly boys since they grow bigger. They don't try that.

Some specific reptiles can change gender in the eggs depending on temperature. Chickens may have been descended from reptiles but they did not get that trait. Most reptiles don't have it either.

Um I don't think that looking at the egg size works (might be wrong) but I have seen a scientific article that said where the air sack is tells you
Whether it is a boy or a girl if the air cell is right at the top of the egg then it is a boy (e.g. at the big end of the egg not of to the side at all) but if the air cell is of to the side then it is a girl (e.g. at the big end of the egg vut of to the side)
I have know idea if it is true but maybe
Here is the article and a picture of the page with the info on it (I put dots on where the info is)
https://archive.org/details/howtotellsexofeg00quis/page/1/mode/1up?view=theater
Don't know if it is true :idunno
Screenshot_20240331_112819_Firefox.jpg
Good luck with your hatching

Back
Top Bottom