Is he a Blue Copper Marans?? **PICS**

SplashAmeraucanaRoo.JPG
marans_chickens-09.jpg

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/5/5-3/marans_chickens_layers_of_chocolate_brown_eggs.html

OKay check these out and look at the Splash maran on this site. I looked at pics of Wheaton, Blue Wheaton and Splash. He really doesn't look like a Wheaton or Blue Wheaton at all. My vote would have to be for a Splash Maran roo. They don't all look exactly the same, if you look up pics of Splash Maran roos you will see there is variations in how much of each color a bird has. Like these to pics the Splashes seem to have quite a bit of copper on the wings and the one of the left has some in his chest. Anyway this is my vote for what your bird is.

Good luck,
Michelle

SplashAmeraucanaRoo.JPG
marans_chickens-09.jpg

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/5/5-3/marans_chickens_layers_of_chocolate_brown_eggs.html

OKay check these out and look at the Splash maran on this site. I looked at pics of Wheaton, Blue Wheaton and Splash. He really doesn't look like a Wheaton or Blue Wheaton at all. My vote would have to be for a Splash Maran roo. They don't all look exactly the same, if you look up pics of Splash Maran roos you will see there is variations in how much of each color a bird has. Like these to pics the Splashes seem to have quite a bit of copper on the wings and the one of the left has some in his chest. Anyway this is my vote for what your bird is.

Good luck,
Michelle

Thank you Michelle for the pics and your input. I have looked at a lot of pictures and i am more confused than i was about what he may be. I have seen pictures of splash, wheaten and blue wheaten, their is so many variations in colour with all of these, i have seen pictures in each of these colourings that look like him.
Maybe i will never know what he really is lol.

He is definitely a Splash and did you say that he DOES have copper on his secondary flight feathers? I agree with Illia.. if he has copper in the flight feathers he is Wheaten based.

This is one of my 6 mos. old Splash Copper cockerels and he did have some random copper flecking in the breast as your boy does, however my boy did not have as much, but I did not see him mature past this age in the photo but I assume he would have accquired more copper as he matured. He was mean to my Blue Copper male and I just couldn't have that.

Here is another Splash Copper male that I had. I have a sneaky suspicion that this male also carried the Silver Birchen gene but he too was a meanie and did not make it past the age he was in these photos. He was about 7-8 mos. old here.

He is definitely a Splash and did you say that he DOES have copper on his secondary flight feathers? I agree with Illia.. if he has copper in the flight feathers he is Wheaten based.

This is one of my 6 mos. old Splash Copper cockerels and he did have some random copper flecking in the breast as your boy does, however my boy did not have as much, but I did not see him mature past this age in the photo but I assume he would have accquired more copper as he matured. He was mean to my Blue Copper male and I just couldn't have that.

Here is another Splash Copper male that I had. I have a sneaky suspicion that this male also carried the Silver Birchen gene but he too was a meanie and did not make it past the age he was in these photos. He was about 7-8 mos. old here.

Mine has the same copper on the wings as the boy on your 1st picture but his colouring is almost the same as the cockerel in the second picture.
Do you think it is common for marans cockerels to be mean? mine has biten my hand several times now for no apparent reason.

Back
Top Bottom